Nicole Muller ’15

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UVA chapter.

Nicole Muller is only a first year, but has already left her impact on the Charlottesville community and the nation. Nicole founded Neighbors-4-Neighbors as a small food drive in her Charlottesville neighborhood two years ago. Since then, it has blossomed into a program collecting enough food to amp up the supplies of food banks nationwide. Nicole’s impressive resume doesn’t stop there; Nicole is a student leader on the Schools Fight Hunger Board and has received a variety of recognitions for her achievements.  We were able to sit down with this modern day superwoman and learn a little more about her.

What prompted you to start Neighbors-4-Neighbors?
The recession. And so many people who didn’t need to go to the food bank before, were now starting to go. The food banks were also really low on supplies.

What are some organizations that participate in Neighbors-4-Neighbors?
There are a lot of different people donating nationwide, but there are also different governors’ offices, schools, and churches. The girl scouts help a lot too.

What was your involvement on the Schools Fights Hunger Board?
I planned a giant food drive at my high school for two years. (Right here in Charlottesville at Western Albemarle High School! )

What has been your proudest moment in all of this?
I got to see the reaction of a woman when I brought the food in. She was extremely thankful. She had kids with her too which was very touching.

What is your current goal in Neighbors-4-Neighbors?
I set a goal of pounds and each time I reach that goal, I set a new one. The goal originally started out at 1000 pounds. We are currently at 150,000 and the next goal is 200,000. I would also like for more people to get involved campaigning in their area for food donations.  

Do you find it difficult to balance school work and your organization?
It does take a while to email and organize, but it’s definitely worth it.
[pagebreak]
Where do you hope to see yourself in the future after graduating?

I want to continue community service and it would be really nice to continue working with the food bank.

What do you like to do in your free time?
I like to hang out with my friends and I like to go to the gym a lot. I would also really like to get involved with Madison House.

Who has been your greatest inspiration in starting up the program?
My mom is my biggest inspiration. She’s always giving back and she helps me if I ever need it for this program.

What recognitions have you received for Neighbors-4-Neighbors?
I’ve received the Key Club Capital District Teenager of the Year Award, the Presidential Gold Community Service Award, and I was just named a Glamour magazine “20 Amazing Young Women” honoree. I was really happy to get the Teenager of the Year award.

How can I get involved?
I have a Gmail address you can email to get involved. It’s naybors4naybors@gmail.com . Or, you can donate to your local food bank and put it under the Naybors4naybors program.

Francesca Lee is a fourth year majoring in sociology with a minor in media studies at the University of Virginia. This summer, she developed a passion for TV production after interning at WETA, the public television station for DC and the greater metro area.  Throughout the summer, Francesca researched, wrote and produced several WETA Around Town segments about the local arts programs and graffiti murals in DC.  As the new campus correspondent for Her Campus UVa, she is working to create video content for the UVa branch to supplement the written content.  This spring, she hopes to study abroad in Denmark and expand her knowledge of international broadcasting and advertising. Francesca also gives historical and admissions tours to visitors and prospective students at UVa and is a member of Alpha Chi Omega Sorority.