5 African-American Women Who Broke Stereotypes

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UTRGV chapter.

February hosts a celebration of African-American history that highlights people who have made a mark in our country. Throughout history, there have been women who have broken rules and overcome stereotypes. Here are five women who defeated every obstacle that came their way and that show us race does not determine our future. 

1. First make-up artist in Hollywood: Bernadine Anderson

Anderson one of the first black woman to break Hollywood’s stereotypes. Her three-year apprenticeship in the 60s at Warner Brothers allowed her to showcase her work on the big screen. Some of her work includes Another 48 Hrs. (1990), Coming to America (1988) and The China Syndrome (1979).

2. First Professional Ballerina: Misty Danielle Copeland

Even though Misty was not the first African-American, she was the first one named as principal dancer for American Ballet Theater. In 2015, she was named one of the 100 Most Influential People by Times Magazine.

3. First Astronaut: Mae Carol Jemison

Not only was Mae Carol the first African-American woman to travel to space, but she was also the first African-American female NASA astronaut, engineer and physician. One of Jemison most inspirational quotes is “Never limit yourself because of others’ limited imagination; never limit others because of your own limited imagination.”

4. First actress to win an Oscar: Hattie McDaniel

In 1940, Hattie McDaniel became the first African-America to win an Oscar thanks to her win for her supporting role as Mammy in Gone With the Wind. She was also one of the first black females to perform on radio.

5. First athlete to run in the Olympics: Alice Coachman Davis

Coachman became the first American black woman to compete in track and field in the 1948 London Olympics. She won a gold medal by breaking a record in the high jump finals, making Olympic history. 

A Mass Communications major, with a minor in Art and Graphic Design. Passionate about creativity and food. 
UTRGV Class of 2018  Mass Comm Major Mexican-American Studies Minor