Please Be Nice, I Just Work Here

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UTM chapter.

For the past two years, I have been working at Taco Bell in Martin, TN. I have learned a lot from working in fast food. Before I started working in fast food, I thought it would be simple enough, but boy was I wrong. Whether you are working in fast food or retail, a customer service job very hard at times. With that being said, please be nice, I just work here. Here are some things that you as a customer can do to be nicer to a fast food employee, or any employee, really, because we are all people, too.

When we ask, “How are you today?” please be nice and actually say how you are doing instead of ignoring us and just ordering your food. It’s kind of sad when you don’t get a response, especially when you’re trying to be cheerful when doing your job. Let’s face it, taking food orders for seven hours is not the most enjoyable job in the world. So, be nice and respond to our questions. Also, if I say, “I will be with you in a moment,” please be nice and don’t start to order your food. Most likely I am finishing an order with another customer or I am trying to fix a problem. Cashiers are not able to take an order right away when there are so many customers to attend to, so please pay attention and be patient with us.

Something that happens to me all the time while working: I’ll be taking an order, and I may accidentally hit the wrong item and it will show on the customer’s screen. Please be nice and do not yell at me that your order is wrong. I’ve noticed, and I probably was in the process of fixing it. It just takes a moment because there are a lot of different options on our screens to choose from. So, please be nice and remain patient while I fix the mistake, and please don’t yell.

Something else not to get angry about: if a place closes early due to bad weather. Please do not get upset with the workers. It’s not our decision for closing the establishment early, and they are just trying to look out for our safety. The bosses make that decisions, not us, so please be nice.

So, generally, just be nice. I only work here.

I am a senior at UTM, I am majoring in Criminal Justice with a concentration in Law Enforcement. I am in Alpha Delta Pi, I am the President of the Criminal Justice Society at UTM. I love anything that has to do with cats and cacti.I am a proud cat mom, my cat's name is Kiwi. And I am a lifeguard at Magic Waters Waterpark in Rockford IL.