Snow from The Perspective of Someone Who’s Never Seen It

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Utah chapter.

So, I guess I should start off by letting you know that I am not from Utah. I am from a land far, far away. A land where humidity runs rampant and the best Mexican food (outside of Mexico) is found. A land where snow is a myth and we eat more guacamole than you can imagine. A land called Texas.

As you may know, snow is not common in the far away, incredibly hot land of Texas. There are no white Christmases and the classic “Let It Snow” really doesn’t have any meaning there. So, imagine my excitement when I moved here and got to experience snow falling for the first time in my eighteen years of life. It was magical, which is cheesy, I know, but it’s the truth. I had never seen snowfall before and I was so excited that I started crying. I’m not even kidding. It made me so happy to see in person something I had only ever seen in movies.

Since moving to Utah, though, I have noticed that the vast majority of those who are from here do not like the snow. They complain that it’s a pain to drive in, to walk in, to shovel off their driveways, to scrape off their cars, and while, yes, all of this is understandable, I still can’t fathom how some people don’t see the beauty in it. Snow is so incredibly beautiful. It’s like a powdered sugar coating added to the earth. I understand that in many ways it can be inconvenient and even annoying, but if you take the time to look around you will see so much beauty.

Seeing something like that for the first time was such a new and exciting experience for me. Getting to see and touch and hold real snow literally made me giddy. I also may have maxed out my storage because I took so many pictures… oops.

Anyway, the point is, for those that don’t give snow any credit, or anything else in nature for that matter, please look twice. Something that seems so ordinary to you is completely new and exciting to someone else. Learn to appreciate the beauty in the ordinary and I promise life will become a little brighter.

Her Campus Utah Chapter Contributor