This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Utah chapter.

Ringing in the New Year is often seen as a chance to start fresh: out with the old and in with the new. Yet it can be hard to stick to those New Year’s resolutions, when you don’t even have the desire or energy to get out of bed, let alone go to the gym. Many people worldwide experience “Winter Blues,” associated with the decreasing amount of sunlight as winter settles in, but when these symptoms start to affect everyday life, something larger is at work. The culprit may just be Seasonal Affective Disorder.

Seasonal Affective Disorder (SAD) is a type of depression that comes about with the changing of the seasons. According to the National Institute of Mental Health, it can be associated with the onset of summer, but the most common time for people to experience SAD is in the beginning of fall and progressing into winter. Those most likely to have SAD are young, women, have a history or family history with depression, have bipolar disorder, or live far from the equator.

Some symptoms include:

• Sadness
  • Gloomy outlook
  • Feeling hopeless, worthless, and irritable
  • Loss of interest or pleasure in activities you used to enjoy
  • Low energy
  • Difficulty sleeping or oversleeping
  • Carbohydrate cravings and weight gain
  • Thoughts of death or suicide

It is still unclear what causes SAD, but some theories include a drop in serotonin levels, a change in melatonin levels, or a change in a person’s circadian rhythm.

If you feel like you experience SAD and it is affecting your everyday life, the best bet is to see a doctor. They will be able to accurately diagnose it, and provide a proper treatment. A common treatment is light therapy, where a person is instructed to spend some time each morning upon waking up exposed to a special light that mimics natural sunlight. If this is not effective for a person, antidepressants are also commonly used as a treatment. Another option involves psychotherapy, also known as talk therapy, which involves conditioning the mind and body to be happy during the times a person would usually experience SAD. Talk therapy includes doing something enjoyable each day and learning to predict triggers for negative thoughts to prevent those thoughts from occurring.

Many people experience symptoms from seasonal changes that are not as intense as those caused by SAD. This milder case is known as subsyndromal SAD (S-SAD).

S-SAD can be combated through various means:

• Make your environment sunnier and brighter Let as much sunlight into your residence as possible and sit near windows. If a room has been needing renovations anyway, try painting the walls and ceiling a light color. Put a light therapy box in a room (proceed with some caution, though, as the bright light could cause headaches or eye strain).  
  • Get outside Even on cloudy days, outdoor light is more effective for combating S-SAD or SAD symptoms than indoor light. It is sunlight, after all.  
  • Exercise regularly Physical activity has been proven to reduce stress and anxiety, which will help alleviate the symptoms of S-SAD and SAD generally. Exercise outside or near a window to better alleviate symptoms!

For many, the changing of the seasons can have a large impact on their mood. What is important is doing what you can to stay safe and healthy throughout the year. Remember to take care of yourself in whatever ways you need, especially if the long, cold days of winter are getting you down.

Cover Picture, 1, 2

Her Campus Utah Chapter Contributor