Knowing When to Cut Back on Your Busy Schedule

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Utah chapter.

I’m one of those people that likes to keep their schedule really full. I’m a workaholic and I love being busy. Chances are, you either know someone like this or you are someone like this. Addicted to planners, always in a hurry to one thing or another, and in a constant state of exhaustion. I began seeing that my schedule was becoming too much for me when realized I was always tired, regardless of how much sleep I had gotten. I could barely keep my eyes open for class, which is always number one on my priorities list.

It’s so important to prioritize your activities. You can’t expect to be able to give the same amount of time and attention to your extracurriculars as you give to your 18 credit hours. But when too many activities are ranking high on your list, you may need to take a step back and reevaluate. It seems like a daunting taskㅡdeciding which part of your life needs to get cutㅡbut it’s a necessary one. Staying busy and involved is one thing, but exhausting yourself to the point of wanting to quit everything is quite another. Here are three questions you should ask yourself when cleaning out your schedule:

How much would I miss this if I cut it out?

Is this such a big part of your life that you can’t imagine even a week without it? Or could you manage taking it off your calendar, even just for a semester? Just because you can’t fit it in right now doesn’t mean you couldn’t make time for it in the future.

How many commitments have I made to this activity?

Did you sign a contract with an end date or is it purely a volunteer situation? Are you involved in pre-planned events or meetings in the coming months? Would you be making anyone else’s life much harder if you took a step back?

What am I gaining from this?

Is this a source of income? Is it just yet another resume booster? Think about the impact it’s having on your future as well as your present.

As much as it really and truly sucks, there are going to be times when something in your life has to get the boot. It will free up space in your agenda for much-needed you time. Trust me when I say that even if you don’t think you need it, you do. Life is hectic enough without creating a schedule from hell to go along with it.

Editor-in-Chief for the Utah chapter of Her Campus. I'm a political science major at the University of Utah, in my time I love to cook healthy and delicious meals, organize detailed parties, and pet every dog I see.