This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Utah chapter.

Her Campus Utah is honored to feature John Madsen as our Campus Celebrity. John, a West Valley City, UT native, graduated from the University of Utah in 2006 with a degree in Economics. Since graduating John went on to play in the NFL for the Oakland Raiders, alongside NFL great Randy Moss. After the NFL, John came back to Utah and opened his very own training gym in Sandy called John Madsen Performance. Her Campus Utah was lucky enough to talk to John this week about his experience in the NFL, John Madsen Performance, and the great athletes he trains. Be sure to check out John Madsen Performace, and follow John on Twitter: @john_madsen, and Instagram: @john_madsen.

Her Campus (HC):  Did you always play football growing up?

John Madsen (JM):  I played football from the time I was 9-years-old until my sophomore year in high school.  I made the decision to concentrate on basketball and baseball.  I thought that I was too small to play football at that level!  

HC:  What made you want to play football?

JM:  I wanted to play basketball in college, however I did not have any scholarship opportunities.  I went to Snow college on an Academic Scholarship with the intention of walking on to the football, basketball, or baseball team.  At that point I did not care which, I just wanted to continue playing sports.  

I knew that I could play football due to the amount of work I put in the weight room.  At that time I was 6’4” 205 lbs. so I fit the mold of the bigger wide receivers that were dominating the collegiate landscape at the time.  All I needed was a chance.  Luckily the Snow College coaching staff gave me that opportunity and I ran with it, transferring to the University of Utah for 3 full seasons.

HC:  How did it feel your senior year knowing that playing in the NFL was in reach?

JM:  It was a dream coming true.  All I ever wanted to do was become a professional athlete.  Many people doubted that a kid who never played a single down in high school could make that happen.  I was very close to being a 1st day draft pick in the NFL draft.  With three games to go, I broke my leg and any chances of getting drafted were broken as well.  The Oakland Raiders invited me to training camp as an un-drafted free agent and I played there for three years.

HC:  How was your experience playing for the Oakland Raiders and playing with Randy Moss?

JM:  Incredible.  Randy was an Idol of mine growing up and playing on the same field as him was surreal at first.  Playing in Oakland, wearing the silver and black, is something that I’ll never forget.  I was able to live out my childhood dream.  

HC:  When did you open the John Madsen Performance training center?

JM:  I opened John Madsen Performance in 2010 after my NFL career was over.  

HC:  What inspired you to start the training center?

JM:  The only reason I had the belief that I could play football in college was because I worked with a trainer my senior year of high school.  Under this guy’s guidance I gained 25 lbs., but more importantly gained an incredible amount of confidence.  I fell in love with training because it changed my life.  I knew that I could do the same for other young athletes who had the same dreams as me.

HC:  What type of athletes do you train?

JM:  I train athletes ranging from 8-years-old to Major League Baseball (MLB) players and NFL athletes to weekend warriors wanting to get in better shape.  There are a wide range of athletes and people who train in my gym, but the common denominator is that they all want to improve.  

HC:  Any athletes our readers might know?

JM:  Dexter Fowler:  Center Fielder – Houston Astros;  Derrick Shelby: Former Ute, DE (defensive end) for the Miami Dolphins;  Gionni Paul:  LB (linebacker) for the Utes;  Jackson Barton:  Redshirt OL (offensive lineman) for the Utes;  Jordan Loveridge:  Utah Basketball

HC:  What is some advice you would give to aspiring football players and entrepreneurs?

JM:  To first have a clear vision of what you want to become.  After you can feel that vision, take action to do what you have to do to get there.  Always believe that you can do it.

Vermont native. Salt Lake City resident. Ellie Briggs is currently majoring in Strategic Communications with an emphasis in Public Relations at the University of Utah. She is serving as the Campus Correspondent, Co-President, and Editor-in-Chief of Her Campus Utah, along with Mietra Aarabi. When Ellie is not focusing on her studies, writing, or editing countless articles, you can find her brunching with her sister and laughing at her own jokes. Follow her on Instagram @elliebriggs and Twitter @ellbriggs - she promises you won't get bored!