This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Utah chapter.

Whatever kind of food or drinks you are looking for, it most likely can be found somewhere within Salt Lake. There are a plethora of undiscovered and overlooked restaurants, bakeries, and coffee shops throughout the city, and if you feel like having a day–or even a few meals out of the ordinary–by trying something new, here are a few ides for each occasion!

Need a pick-me-up, or even a nice place to study and drink coffee? It’s even open until 11pm on Weekdays and 12am on Weekends!

• Coffee Garden at 898 E 900 S

How about hot chocolate? Les Madeleines has super rich and creamy hot chocolate perfect for a cold day! Open Tuesday-Saturday 8am-4pm.

• Les Madeleines at 216 E 500 S

Want a cheap and quick breakfast that is still good? Try Straw Market for $1 cinnamon rolls!

• Straw Market at 390 4th Ave

How about a more gourmet but still comforting weekend brunch…Try Avenues Proper for a modern, and relaxing weekend morning.

• Avenues Proper at 376 8th Ave C

For lunch or even breakfast, a great place to get limitless options with some slight Asian twists in the heart of downtown is Mollie and Ollie. They have customizable scrambles, salads, wraps, and stir fry’s that you order and pay for on a computer!

• Mollie and Ollie at 159 South Main Street

If you’re looking for a more exotic experience, try Mazza Middle Eastern Cuisine. A great, authentic choice for either lunch or dinner and has been open for more than 10 years! –Strongly recommend the falafel!

• Mazza at 912 E 900 S, or 1515 S 1500 E

Another great, more exotic and authentic restaurant that Salt Lake City has blessed us with is Sawadee Thai Restaurant. Their pad thai and thai curries are… let’s just say not what you would expect from Salt Lake and a 10/10 on my scale. –Also it is really close to the University with a lunch special that is perfect for the college pocket!

• Sawadee Thai at 754 E South Temple

Now, for some hearty and unique Italian food for a classy dinner for two, with the fam, or even with your close friends. Trio is a great choice for delicious Italian cuisine and a welcoming atmosphere.

• Trio at 680 S 900 E

But of course you HAVE to satisfy your sweet tooth at the end of the day, so try Caffé Molise for gourmet desserts! The outdoor seating feels as though you are in a classy European courtyard and makes you want to take your time not only eating but enjoying company…keep the tiramisu coming!

• Caffé Molise at 55 W 100 S

No matter the strange craving or diet restrictions, there are local restaurants that offer some amazing options! As good and convenient as chain restaurants can be, I encourage you, if you haven’t already, to try some of the fantastic local restaurants that Salt Lake City has to offer.

Notorious foodie and optimist, hoping to cook for a living and experience a vast cultural variety. Business student, Netflix ethusiast, and avid day dreamer, just trying to make it through college and fulfill my potential. 
Her Campus Utah Chapter Contributor