This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Utah chapter.

Here are 5 Hawaiian pick-me-ups that get me through my days (besides living in paradise):

1.   Chocolate Chips

Chocolate Chips are the best way to a manage sweet craving. They’re also very cost effective. For the price of one candy bar, I can get a bag of chocolate chips. They’re great in peanut butter banana smoothies, by them self, or on top of pancakes and waffles. Who wouldn’t be in a better mood after eating chocolate chips?

2.   Salt Water

Salty hair creates volumeous beachy waves. Therefore, the salt water alone can give you the perfect “pick-me-up” hairstyle. When you don’t live near a beach, grab a bottle of Surf Spray by Bumble and Bumble and try it out for yourself!

3.   Sunsets

Bidding the sun “Aloha” can be rejuvenating and also relaxing. Take a few deep breaths and enjoy the sunset wherever you are.

4.   Farmer’s Markets

Farmer’s markets bring a community together by selling locally grown and handmade food, jewelry, art, clothing and much more. Surrounding yourself in an environment where everyone treats each other like their own family, or in Hawaii we say, “Ohana.” While farmer’s markers are scattered throughout Kauai, find your local market and enjoy the good energy!

5.   Shaka

This is also known as the “hang loose” sign. This hand single can means good vibes, hello, respect, a sign of agreement and so on. Since this isn’t an act done on the mainland as often, a smile works just as well. Give a smile, get a smile and count that as a small step to a better day or situation!

Born and raised in Salt Lake City, Krissi attends the University of Utah studying to become a journalist. When she is not doing school work, she is a part time makeup artist, full time animal lover and spends any moment she can outside. (She especially loves outdoor malls.) She quotes: "Writing is one of the most beautiful ways to express ourselves and I could not be more thrilled to be apart of Her Campus!"
Vermont native. Salt Lake City resident. Ellie Briggs is currently majoring in Strategic Communications with an emphasis in Public Relations at the University of Utah. She is serving as the Campus Correspondent, Co-President, and Editor-in-Chief of Her Campus Utah, along with Mietra Aarabi. When Ellie is not focusing on her studies, writing, or editing countless articles, you can find her brunching with her sister and laughing at her own jokes. Follow her on Instagram @elliebriggs and Twitter @ellbriggs - she promises you won't get bored!