This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at USFSP chapter.

Every day in our nation, there is an average of over 5,240 suicide attempts by young people grades 7-12 according to The Jason Foundation. Also startling is the fact that four out of five teens who attempt suicide have given clear warning signs.

Depression amongst teens is something not widely spoken about, but with how common it actually is, it needs to be.

You can’t go on social media or start a conversation with someone without the topic of 13 Reasons Why coming up nowadays. If you haven’t watched the show yet, be prepared to read some spoilers.

On March 31st, Netflix released the series 13 Reasons Why based off the popular book that came out in 2007. 13 Reasons Why follows Hannah Baker as she documents the reasons as to why she committed suicide. Each tape equals a different reason. Through the journey of the 13 episodes you see the impact that words can have on a person, especially when life already is a constant battle. Having friends turn to enemies, intimate secrets exposed about you, or having the most sacred part of you taken without so much as consent can take a toll on a person.

USFSP Mass Communications major Yazlin Mercado says, “It opened my eyes up and made me realize that what you say has an impact on people so you just need to be careful and watch the words that you say around everyone and watch for the signs because you never know what they are going through. Sometimes they’re not open about it to you and sometimes they are but you just don’t catch those signs so you just have to be careful.”

“After watching the show, I realized that no matter how small or trivial your actions are they can change a person’s life for better or worse.  It is so important to think before you speak or act. I highly recommend this show to anyone whether you have read the book before or not. I will say some of the reasons given in the show that lead to the suicide are more important than others but should not be taken lightly either way.  Certain episodes can also be a bit slow but it is worth the wait to make it through every episode and get through all the tapes leading to the season finale that leads you wanting nothing but more.” says Vanessa.

“Being someone who has struggled with depression and anxiety a greater portion of my life, I resonated with this show. Sometimes there are no signs, you just feel it, all at once. You can’t put a finger on what is bothering you or try to isolate a situation to make it better. In high school, everything seems monumental. Every bad grade, every break up, every derogatory slur spoken about you, true or otherwise, weighs on you constantly. It’s not always the kids who look the most distraught or the kid that sits alone at lunch. Depression can affect everyone. That is the scary part.” says Imani.

13 Reasons Why sheds a light on how everyone goes through struggles in their lives and it’s important to just be kind. Just because the star athlete is smiling in the endzone doesn’t mean he doesn’t have problems at home. The most bubbly girl always laughing in the hallways might be using humor to mask the horrifying pain of being raped. Or the smartest girl on campus not even knowing how to come to grips with her own reality.

“You don’t know what goes on in anyone’s life but your own. And when you mess with one part of a person’s life, you’re not messing with just that part. Unfortunately, you can’t be that precise and selective. When you mess with one part of a person’s life, you’re messing with their entire life.”  -Hannah Baker (13 Reasons Why)

If you or someone you know is struggling with depression or suicidal thoughts contact the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline at 1-800-273-TALK(8255). Suicide is 100% preventable. Reach out to someone whether it be a friend, a loved one, or anyone that you can trust. Nothing is worth taking your life, you will get past the obstacles you are currently facing and will soon see just how great life can be.

HCXOXO,

Imani Craig & Vanessa Rivera

Photo resources: http://www.flickeringmyth.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/01/13-Reasons-Why.jpg

Hi! My name is Imani and I am a 21 year old Mass Communications major living in sunny Florida. I love traveling, listening to music and you, know, occasionally writing.
Hey, I'm Vanessa! Im a senior at USFSP majoring in Mass Communications. I hope you enjoy my writing that will be about literally anything and everything. My goal after college is to find a career in the entertainment or music industry. To make that happen, I'm currently planning a big move from sunny Florida to sunny California! Follow me on my journey through my writing, enjoy!
A Mass Communications Major with a passion for inspiring others.