How to Cope With Being Sick in College

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at USFSP chapter.

Getting sick is always inconvenient, but when your classes only meet twice a week (at most), it’s a much bigger deal than it was in high school. Trying to balance work, classes, extra curriculars, a social life, and trying not to lose your mind is hard enough as is, but when you add the flu or even a cold, your energy runs low and your stress runs high. Here are some of my tips for dealing with being sick in college.

Take Care of Yourself

It seems impossible during a busy semester, but when you’re sick, it’s especially important to take it easy. Without proper sleep or if you push yourself too much, you won’t be able to get better and you could even get worse. Added stress on your body can turn a cold into pneumonia or bronchitis! Use this time to recuperate before you get back in the swing of things. And don’t forget the basics- food and water!

Prioritize

It seems like every time I get sick, it’s leading up to the busiest time of the semester. Since you can’t just slack off, consider what the most urgent and important things are at the time. If you have a class where attendance is mandatory, go, but if you have an 8am where the professor only reads off a powerpoint that he posts online, you’ll probably benefit more from the sleep. Of course, make sure to send emails out to let your professors know if you’ll be missing, it’s courteous and then you’ll know if something out of the ordinary will happen.

Vitamins and Supplements

You can’t go wrong with echinacea and vitamin c, but I have also found that oregano oil is basically magic in a bottle. It burns a little and has a very strong flavor, but it has been my savior time and time again. You can buy it at Whole Foods and just drop a couple drops on your tongue a few times a day to reap the benefits.

My name is Chloe Thirion. I am a twenty-one year old Accounting major with a Management minor in the Honors College at the University of South Florida St. Petersburg.  I currently work on campus as an RA in Residence Hall One and at a daycare for kids under three years old.    I like the simple things in life. I love shopping for office supplies. A neatly organized to-do list can make me  positively giddy. I carry a small legal pad and a pen with me so I can take notes as I need. My favorite pizza is  margherita. I love coffee, tea, and hot chocolate and I believe there is a time and place for each. I like to  daydream. My favorite thing to do is read.  I have little, little siblings-- my brother Rhett is thirteen and my sister Lilly is six. I like to be the boss; that might be obvious from the birth order situation. I might even go so far as to say I'm a control freak.    I hope to go on to get my Master's of Accountancy after my bachelor's. I like school; I tell people it's the only thing I know how to do, but I'm (half) joking when I say that.
A Mass Communications Major with a passion for inspiring others.