Painting Stress Goodbye: Art Driving Change

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at USF chapter.

Connections is a community engagement program at the Tampa Museum of Art designed to provide adults a break from the stresses that interrupt everyday life and erase the stigma of mental health conditions. It’s a one-hour session in which docents lead individuals living with mental health conditions and their caregivers through activities designed to encourage discussion on the art pieces.

In this hour, “it’s not about the doctors appointment, its not about the disease, its not about the care of the person, its about the life of the person,” says Brittny Bevel, the museum’s education curator.

Although most museums around the country have some dementia programming, the Tampa Museum of Art is unique in its use of students as docents, which also draws students into interacting with the art. A docent is “a person who acts as a guide, typically on a voluntary basis, in a museum, art gallery, or zoo”. The museum accepts applicants from USF’s Honors College, the training for which is now being offered as a credit for honors capstone.

In the program, Alzheimers patients are the most active and regular attending participants. Bevel receives an email at least once a month from one of these individuals either expressing the effectiveness of the program or how it is the one thing they look forward to.

As a volunteer docent myself, I can say attending training every Thursday was the highlight of my week this past semester. You lose yourself in the art and forget about the paper you should be writing or the exam that you wish you scored higher on. In the museum, all of the should-be’s and would-have’s finally quiet down.

And by the way, USF students get in free.

English and Women & Gender Studies Senior at the University of South Florida
I am a junior at the University of South Florida. I am specializing in Public Relations while pursuing certificates in Business and Visualization & Design. I hope to one day combine all of these and pursue law in the entertainment and even branch out to other passions in family law. While I am studying to achieve these dreams, I have furthered my collection of coffee cups and obsession with caffeine. I currently work as a barista and love to whip up new ideas, whether it be actual coffee creations or branding ideas. My other hobbies include enjoying short walks to the movies and my computer. This is usually to catch up on the latest and greatest shows. If it's not film, it is music. I love the thrill of listening to live music of my favorite and new bands. These inspire me to discover my individuality and brand, while challenging myself to help others find theirs.