This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at USF chapter.

A taunting drumming beat, constant every 1.5 seconds, grew louder and louder until The xx took the stage, all three members dressed in all black, welcoming screams from the audience filled the room. The strumming of a guitar began, a florescent spotlight illuminated Romy Madley Croft as she began singing the group’s most recent hit, “Angels”. “And everyday I’m learning about you, the things that no one else sees.”  The members glowed through to illuminating of the lights, as if they were angels in a musical sanctuary. The intimacy between the xx and the audience was indescribable. The audience chanted back the last chorus to the musicians while thumping beats seemed to move the entire room.

A familiar double-clapping beat introduced the next song, “Heart Skipped a Beat”  an older one from their debut album, where singer Oliver Sim and Croft infamously sang lines back to one another. Their voices complemented each other like no other.

Sedative blue graphics were the backdrop to “Fiction”. The crowd swayed to the rhythm of the sentimental song. “Fiction, when we’re not together.”

The transition into “Crystalised” changed the whole vibe of the show. The fan favorite song, began with a slowed down rhythm, a mere buildup to what was to come. The band’s rendition of the song was sexy. Each time Croft or Sim were to sing “ah, ahh, ahh,” they teased the crowd by waiting an extra beat or two, then chanting the sounds. Jamie Smith, the mixer, percussionist, and keyboardist, added a more soulful yet clubby twist to the song, driving the audience into a provocative state. The singers voice grew sultry as they each elongated the final lyrics, “go slow, go slow” was repeated in unison, each softer than the former.

The set chimed back a notch, into the intimacy it began with. “Chained” and “Reunion,” songs off their newest album, “Coexist,” were next on the setlist. The xx had their sanctuary of followers transcending into a state a bliss. The blended melodies against an eclectic beat were spiritual. The beats escalated into a stylish mood, until “Reunion” emerged into “Sunset”. White lights beamed into accordance to flow of the music. The melancholy song was given depth with the accompanying light show as Croft and Smith eloquently strummed their guitars facing each other at one point. This particular ambience continued into “Night Time” and “Swept Away”.

Given the fact that their sophomore album, “Coexist,” seemed a bit more beat-driven, it’s no surprise that the production of their shows would develop alongside this factor as well. And it indeed works for them beautifully.

The last four songs belonged to their debut self-titled album. The renditions were in sync with the feel of the new album.

The comforting lullaby-like xylophone beginning notes of VCR triggered shouts from the crowd. Withholding from playing arguably the most notable song of theirs, “Islands,” was soon crossed off the list.

The final song, “Infinity” of the premeditated set, instantly reversed the vibe back to seductive. Croft and Sims have a way with lyrics like no other, there’s no faking their passion when they’re up on that stage. It seemed effortless at times, the way they lose themselves to the music, which definitely reflected positively to the audience. Booming chattering of the cymbals led the song into a powerful ending.

The xx was gracious enough to perform a three song encore consisting of the Rihanna adopted “Intro”, “Tides”, and “Stars”.

The xx are an absolute must-see band. Their live performance was over and beyond my expectations. The “Coexist” and “xx” albums have been on repeat ever since. I’ve rediscovered my fascination with their music on a new level.

Photo Source:

http://www.moheak.com/wp-conte…

http://blog.bamm.tv/wp-content…

Ashley is a Chapter Advisor and currently living in Brooklyn, New York.