The Importance of Branching Out in College

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at USF chapter.

More often than not, it is said that our years in college are supposed to be our best, collegiettes™.

These are the years for us to learn how to really be independent, have pure and simple fun, discover ourselves and what the world has to offer, and of course, meet lots of people. However, all these things that make college what it is have one thing in common: they require you to branch out.  

Things could not have been more different in high school. Whether you went to a big school or small, by the end of your time there, you had seen every face that ever walked through the halls at the same time that you did. At USF, it seems like you’re seeing new faces everyday. Making some of those faces familiar involves you putting yourself out there.

But let’s face it, making friends isn’t as simple as randomly going up to a passerby and introducing yourself. In lectures with such a big class roster, how do you even find what’s-his-name, that person you talked to the first lecture during syllabus week again? Before you know it, the semester is going to be flashing before your eyes and you’ll have found that you haven’t made as many connections as you’d like. But how do you make those connections? The answer is a whopping 5 syllables: organizations.

Organizations are the perfect avenue to building friendships with people and widening your campus networking skills. Yes, you can meet plenty of people sitting around the common area of your dorm, and that’s always great. But the key difference between that and meeting people through organizations is that you all have something in common. It’s the reason you chose a certain organization in the first place.

The best part of organizations in college and especially at USF is that there seems to be one for everything you can think of, from Crotchet Clubs to the Quidditch Team. With over 600 organizations to join at USF, your niche is surely somewhere.

By branching out, you not only meet a myriad of students who share similar interests (which is so refreshing when you think back to high school, right?) but you also allow yourself to build a resume based on the academic interest and professional organizations you may choose to join. Joining organizations for both recreational and professional purposes ensures a diverse college experience for you and makes you a versatile student.

Did your new year’s resolution involve trying new things for a new you? Start by widening your network and connections for an even more fabulous person in the making.

Photo Credits: Nousheen Rahman

Second year junior. Environmental Science and Policy major. More of a feminist each day.
Lover of all things Disney, Star Wars, Marvel, Harry Potter and fashion. Junior. Mass Communication major. Disney Cast member. Aspiring writer.