Bella Hadid Joins in Free Palestine Protest

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UPR chapter.

Source: People

Last Friday, after being the guest of honor at the new TAG Heuer flagship store launch, the 21-year-old model Bella Hadid decided to join the Free Palestine demonstration outside the American Embassy in London.

The protest was against Donald Trump’s decision of recognizing Jerusalem as the capital of Israel.  After years of conflict between Israel and Palestine, this decision has already caused violent manifestations in Jerusalem, meaning further future unrest in the Middle East. This announcement implies that the United States is increasingly supportive of Israel’s position which would almost certainly kill any viable peace deal.There are fears that this decision will carry profound consequences for the United States of America’s relationship with the international community and the pursuit of Israeli-Palestinian peace.

Source: The Sun

As she was driven back to her hotel she saw the protest and decided to add her voice to the cause–in her glamorous red floor-length dress and all. Bella’s decision to support this cause comes as no surprise since she is of Palestinian descent. Her father, Mohammed Hadid is a Palestinian American who was born in Nazareth and lived in both Syria and Lebanon before immigrating to the U.S. at just 14-years-old.Bella and her sister Gigi had previously protested Trump’s immigration position in January. She has also expressed her disappointment on social media with Trump’s policies.

Her decision to participate and to express her political opinion is an important step to bringing awareness to the situation in these countries. It encourages people to stand up for what they believe in, even if they’re a little overdressed.

Image source: The Sun