47 Things That Go Through Your Mind When Your Crush Leaves You on “Read”

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UNT chapter.

1. *opens message because ___ hasn’t replied in a while and I’m an obsessive freak*

2. *Read 5 minutes ago*

3. ……?

4. Be cool. It’s all fine. He’s probably just in the bathroom or something, he’ll reply soon.

5. *Read 12 minutes ago*

6. Oh god, he’s ignoring me isn’t he? 

7. Why is he ignoring me? Did I say the wrong thing? Was my joke not as funny as I thought? Was I too nosy? 

8. *reads the conversation multiple times to see where I went wrong*

9. I don’t think I did anything that bad. He’s probably just busy with something. He’ll reply, I’m sure of it.

10. HE JUST POSTED ON SNAPCHAT BUT HE DIDN’T REPLY TO MY TEXT???

11. What an a**hole! He KNOWS I watch his stories, how could he–

12. Oh god, I watched his story so fast, he probably thinks I’m obsessed with him.

13. Which is true, but he can’t know that.

14. Okay, gotta be cool, gotta fix this. 

15. *posts on my own snapchat story* Maybe he’ll see mine too and remember to text me back.

16. *checks snapchat story views 5 times in 2 minutes*

17. GOD, why hasn’t he seen my story yet? He hates me. He absolutely hates me. 

18. Wait, is his snap location turned on?

19. DAMN IT, it’s not. Now I don’t even know where he is.

20. What if he’s driving, he opened my message to finally reply to my text, and then he CRASHED?

21. Oh god, I just caused his death. This is how I go. They’ll arrest me for unintentional manslaughter.

22. No, that doesn’t make sense. He’s too smart to text and drive. 

23. *Read 33 minutes ago*

24. Are we close enough that I can double text?

25. Is 33 minutes too large of a window for me to double text?

26. He’ll think I’m crazy. He’ll know I’m just begging for his attention.

27. *texts my best friend* Should I double text him??

28. *waits 5 minutes and best friend doesn’t reply*

29. Well, it’s her fault now, she didn’t stop me. I’m gonna double text. I’m gonna do it. 

30. *double texts* Delivered.

31. WHY DID I JUST LET MYSELF DO THAT? 

32. You know what, if he leaves me on read again, he’s not worth it. How could he be so inconsiderate?

33. Why hasn’t he read this message? Is he still driving? Is he with friends? Is he at work? Did he actually die?

34. There’s got to be a reason that this is happening. 

35. I can’t believe this is happening. Wow. Wow. Wow. What an uncaring dick move. 

36. I don’t need him. Heck, I don’t even want him anymore.

37. I deserve a man who replies to me as soon as he reads my message. ____ will just have to learn to live without me!

38. …..okay, but what if he’s really dead?

39. That has to be the only explanation for why he hasn’t read my second message yet.

40. That, or he just saw the notification but actually didn’t open the message.

41. Clever boy. Man, he’s so smart. Why does he have to be so smart? If he wasn’t so smart and hot, I wouldn’t be in this mess right now.

42. It’s now been forty minutes. What’s his problem? 

43. Are triple texts alright in a situation like this?

44. NO. NO THEY ARE NOT. DON’T EVEN GO THERE.

45. *checks conversation for the millionth time* Read 17 minutes ago. 

46. …….

47. It’s all over. 

Orooj Syed is a senior at the University of North Texas, majoring in Biology and minoring in Criminal Justice. Between balancing her academics and extracurricular activities, she enjoys finding new places to travel and new foods to eat. Writing has always been one of her greatest passions and, next to sleeping, she considers it a form of free therapy.