This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UNL chapter.

Not going to lie, when I first saw that there was going to be a Beauty and the Beast remake, I was a little apprehensive. Did such a classic really need to be remade? The casting of Emma Watson as Belle definitely made me feel a little more confident when I bought my ticket to see it. 

And thank goodness they did cast her as. The film wouldn’t have nearly been as delightful as it was without her! I must say that I actually like the updated version more than the old classic. I think that’s just because Watson is in it. She added a feminist touch to Belle that was much needed, alluding to the current politics that many women face today. 

Other than Watson’s perfectly played role of Belle, the songs were infectious (Evermore!), and the special effects were very cool. The romance wasn’t overpowering. However, you know that feeling you get once you finish watching a movie that stays with you for the next day or two? Where everything you do has a hint of character from the film? I didn’t get that with Beauty and the Beast. I usually feel like I’m on a high after a really good movie, and I just didn’t feel that way this time. Maybe it was because it was a remake, and nothing new. I just don’t think that actors can fully live up to the animated characters that we are so familiar with. 

Overall, I would probably give this a B+ rating. The changes made to the film had a positive effect, but nothing will be able to live up to the original.

A twenty-year-old international business student with dreams much bigger than my 5'1 self. Slightly obsessed with Germany, Lana Del Rey, and cookie butter. 
Co-president of the UNL Her Campus chapter