Is That $0.99 Tag at Goodwill Too Good to Be True?

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UNL chapter.

1. First off, check the brand to see if you recognize it. Higher quality brands, such as Levi jeans, for example, tend to have longer lasting qualities. If you don’t recognize the brand be sure to pay attention to the wear and tear.

2. Check the sizing! It can be very difficult to tell sometimes if an article will fit you because it seems like every brand has their own way of sizing. Ultimately, I would recommend trying things on! No one needs clothes in their closet that don’t fit them! There are a few tricks, though, to tell if something will be too big or too small if you are in a pinch for time:

1. Jeans/Shorts/Skirts: if you hold the piece in question up against your waistline where it would hit, it should reach from the middle of your side to the middle of your side when held taught against your body. Also be sure to check the length when holding it up.

2. T-shirts/Blouses: It is important that the shirt lays with the shoulder seams on the outside edge of your shoulder. Also when held up to your neck the shirt should fall below your pants line.

3. Check the clothes thoroughly for holes, rips, snags and snares! These commonly occur on clothes at points of high stress (under the arm on shirts, between the legs on pants).

4. If the clothing has a zipper or elastic, double check that they aren’t worn out. I would recommend running the zipper up and down a few times and tugging on the elastic to listen for crunching noises that would indicate it is rotten.

5. Consider the reselling potential. If the clothing is of a high-quality, well-known brand it is possible that you would be able to sell it to make a little money!

As tempting as though $0.99 sales are, I hope you can keep these tips in mind in order to save room in your closet for things that you truly love, fit you perfectly, and are of a lasting quality!