Drunk Munchies: Healthy Alternatives

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UNH chapter.

The health risks of drinking are no secret. In addition to liver damage and brain cell loss alcohol is loaded with calories. Many have even begun to attribute the cliche “freshman fifteen” on alcohol consumption alone, but despite how many cheeseburgers you might actually be drinking during a night out on the town, you might want to reexamine your post-drinking snack choices before playing the blame game. Scooping handfuls of Reese’s Puffs from hand to mouth and pairing last night’s leftovers with a fountain of ketchup are lows that are all too common for many. After a long night of boozing quality often gets sacrificed for convenience, leading many of us straight to the back of the take-out line at Wild Kitty. Dire times like these require keeping healthier alternatives on hand for when the your midnight hunger strikes.

1.) Morning Star Farms Burgers: 2 minutes in the microwave and you’re cravings will be calmed before you retrieve the buns and ketchup! They come in several varieties and can be topped with almost anything your drunk heart desires, and they’re only 130 calories each!

2.) Grilled Cheese- Be prepared for when there’s no sorority girls or mathletes selling them outside your door by stocking up on low calorie wheat bread and a low fat cheese. Pop in your toaster oven or even in the microwave (let’s face it, you won’t care either way) and you’ve got yourself a healthy alternative to Kurt’s cheesy fries!

(Hopefully this can keep us away from our personal favorite, Jack Stones!) 

3.) Ice Cream Alternative- Instead of reaching for the Chunky Monkey or Cherry Garcia, stock your fridge with greed yogurt and fresh fruit! Make yourself a healthy little fruit salad and save your calories for HOCO omelet you’ll be getting the next morning!

4.) Peanut Butter Paradise- If you’re the type that can be found scooping handfuls of peanut butter into your mouth at 3am then this recipe is for you! Spread it on bread, pretzels, fruit or right onto your tongue!
            ¾ cup of raisins
            1 cup applesauce
            1 tablespoon cinnamon
            1 cup of natural creamy peanut butter
            Put raisins, applesauce and cinnamon in a small saucepan and bring to a boil. Boil until rasins appear “plump” (about 8-10 minutes)
            Place the boiled mixture in a food processor and add the peanut butter. Pulse until smooth and creamy.
            Enjoy!

5.) Meatball Sliders- Get rid of all the bread and treat yourself to a healthy alternative to pizza! Try using veggie or turkey meatballs to make this late night snack even lighter! Serve your meatballs on a crunchy baguette if you’re looking for a crunch and sprinkle lightly with some fresh mozzarella!

6.) Amy’s Low-Cal Lasagna- Nuke this low cal meal in your microwave for some hearty, Italian goodness. Made with tofu and only about 300 calories per serving leaving you feeling guilt and bloat free in the morning!

7.) Mini Mexican Pizzas- Stock up on some Tostitos Scoops, your favorite brand of salsa, a can of re-fried beans, taco seasoning and some low-fat Mexican cheese. Fill your chips in layers and pop them in the oven at 425º for 12-15 minutes! (Since the beans are already cooked you can also try making them in the microwave for dorm-dwellers!) Gauge your baking time by how well the cheese is melted and enjoy!

More Tips for Healthier Drinking:
Avoid Sugary Mixers- Stay clear of fruit just concentrates, Red Bull and things like margarita mix. High sugar drink mixes are equally as hard to process as alcohol so stick with fresh fruit juice (no added sugar) diluted with water. Check out healthycocktails.com for more healthy drink recipes!

Eat Before You Drink- Eating before you start drinking will help your body process the alcohol and will prevent you from feeling nauseous later. It may even help you consume less calories during drunk munching!
Stay In The Clear- Vodka, gin and lighter beers are easier to process than dark alcohols like whiskey, bourbon and even red wine!
Take Your Vitamins- Alcohol robs your body of essential nutrients so make sure you’re eating a balanced diet and supplementing where needed.
Drink Water- Hydrate with water before, during and after drinking. Alcohol dehydrates your body and makes all body processes more difficult-including digestion! 

Leah Tully is currently studying nutrition, wellness, and writing at the University of New Hampshire.
New Jersey native, Stephanie, is a junior in the Whittemore School of Business and Economics at the University of New Hampshire. She is majoring in Business Administration with a dual concentration in Marketing and International Business & Economics. She loves the city and lived there last summer while interning for Ann Taylor. Stephanie loves sushi and Starbucks lattes. She is also a proud member of Alpha Phi and currently serves as the Treasurer on the Panhellenic Council.