CoverGirl’s Newest CoverBoy: James Charles

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UNH chapter.

Unless you live under a rock, you have probably read somewhere on social media about the latest, groundbreaking announcement in the beauty industry. The newest face of CoverGirl belongs to none other than the courageous soul of James Charles. And yes, he is of the male gender. What a time to be alive.

Charles follows in the footsteps of past CoverGirl representatives and to name a few: Drew Barrymore, Ellen Degeneres, Rihanna, Queen Latifah, Sofia Vergara, and Taylor Swift. But there’s no doubt James will be carving his own path to stardom.

If you haven’t had the privilege of learning about the flawless James Charles, here’s a short list of simple but nevertheless impressive facts about him:

1.) He is only seventeen years old.

2.) He’s from Bethlehem, New York.

3.) He has gained 736K followers in one year.

4.) He has only been practicing make up for one year.

5.) He was signed by CoverGirl ambassador and superstar, Katy Perry.

6.) He is redefining all standards of beauty and breaking every barrier regarding sexuality and gender in the industry.

Since 1961, the year CoverGirl was first established as a company, the magazine has been graced with faces of many female leaders in the starlight. A fact that obviously makes James Charles the first ever-male CoverGirl. James is a lively personality and is beautiful from both the inside and out. A victim of bullying himself, as the spotlight tends to become a national lightning rod for taunting, he exuberates the confidence necessary to put an end to his haters.

James has created a name for himself, one that will probably appear in history books to come, in a single year. Within 365 days he has acquired every essence of what it means to be the face of CoverGirl. He is brave, unique, confident, and beautiful in his own way.

To leave you with a beauty tip from the guru himself, James told the New York Times in an interview, “If you really want your highlights to pop- which is obviously what the goal is, duh- when you’re applying your highlights, spritz your brush with water before you dip it into your highlighter. It will be super bright and magnetic. You will be blinding people left and right.”

This is the general account for the University of New Hampshire chapter of Her Campus! HCXO!