Shield Your Skin in the Sun

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Chapel Hill chapter.

Spring is on the horizon and getting that golden glow is top on your list. The Vitamin D from sunlight has its benefits, but too much of a good thing can end badly and overexposure is detrimental to your complexion. To keep your skin looking young and vibrant—and to avoid permanent sun spots, premature wrinkles and skin cancer—pick up a tube of SPF before you hit the sun. Here are a few tried and trusted products to get you started on your perfect glow while maintaining beautiful, healthy and young looking skin.

Purpose Dual Treatment Moisturizer is a great option for everyday wear. If you’re not intentionally planning to lounge in the sun, but know you’ll get some exposure throughout the day then this serves your purpose—pun intended. It’s oil-free, fragrance-free and hypoallergenic to keep you breakout-free and its SPF of 15 gives you a great base of protection.

If you’re headed for more direct sunlight you’ll need a stronger shield, preferably one with broad-spectrum UVA/UVB protection. Now for a short science lesson: The sun emits three different kinds of rays—UVA, UVB and UVC. The only ones we really need to pay attention to, though, are UVA and UVB because they enter the atmosphere.  SPF only indicates the protection against UVB rays, leaving the skin vulnerable to UVA rays with the longest wavelengths of the three. It was once believed that UVB rays were the only ones able to cause skin damage, but scientists are discovering more damage caused by UVAs everyday, hence the creation of broad-spectrum sunscreen.

Coppertone Sport Faces SPF 50 provides broad-spectrum coverage while still maintaining a light, non-greasy feel. It’s oil-free and waterproof, so especially ideal when you’re sitting poolside. I carried a tube everywhere I went on my latest spring break expedition and it never let me down. Plus, it works for more than just your face!

Neutrogena’s Age Shield Face Lotion SPF 70 also had a place in my vacation tote. It’s made with helioplex, which is just Neutrogena’s own broad-spectrum formula, so you’re protected from both kinds of harmful rays. It’s oil-free and PABA-free—safe for those allergic to the substance as well as more sensitive skin. To learn more about PABA, click here. Even though the true effectiveness of high SPF has been doubted, I’ll readily vouch for this one. It delivered even when faced with the harshest Caribbean rays, not to mention that my skin was the clearest it’s been in weeks. New beauty regimen?    

Sensitive skin is no reason to avoid sunscreen. I don’t like greasy, heavy and irritating products anymore than you do. But have no fear, Aveeno makes a product for you. Aveeno Natural Protection sunscreen is made with their Active Naturals Oat and Mineralguard technology, created specifically with sensitive skin in mind. It boasts 100% natural ingredients, is free of oils and fragrance and is water-resistant for up to 80 minutes. Plus, it’s broad-spectrum so you know you know the delicate formula isn’t skimping on protection.  

Obviously these select sunscreens are just a mere sampling of what’s on the drugstore shelf. There are several other products that deliver the same great results as these chosen four, but these have my seal of approval for what it’s worth. Don’t let fancy names and high prices trick you into thinking upscale skin care products are any more effective than their drugstore counterparts. More important than the product’s name is that you use protection and keep your skin looking 20-year old fresh forever. Well, maybe that’s an impossible feat, but who’s to keep a girl from trying?

Image courtesy of webmd.com.

Melissa Paniagua is a senior journalism major at The University of North Carolina – Chapel Hill, specializing in public relations. She is currently a fashion market intern at ELLE Magazine. On campus, Melissa acts as the Her Campus president as well as the vice president of the Carolina Association of Future Magazine Editors, UNC’s Ed2010 chapter. In the past, she has been an intern for Southern Weddings Magazine and a contributing writer for Her Campus. Melissa has an appreciation for all things innovative, artful and well designed and hopes to work in marketing for a women’s lifestyle magazine in the future!