Campus Celebrity: Trevor Dougherty

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Chapel Hill chapter.

UNC sophomore Trevor Dougherty DJs at Pulse on Franklin Street. Follow Trevor on Twitter @GoodRatio or like his Facebook page and come to Pulse Thursday to attend the nightclub’s largest foam party ever. 

When UNC sophomore Trevor Dougherty told his roommate last year he wanted to be resident DJ at Pulse nightclub by spring semester, he was met with a shake of the head.

“Dude, there’s no way that’s possible,” his roommate said.

Now, Trevor, who DJs under the name Good Ratio, spins at Pulse every weekend from 10 p.m. to 2 a.m. And this Thursday at 10 p.m, he is opening for world-renowned DJ Crizzly at Pulse’s biggest foam party ever.

Trevor said he doesn’t blame his freshman roommate for being unconvinced.

To earn people’s respect you have to prove you are capable, he said.

“It’s harder to get people to believe in you when you haven’t (found success) yet,” he said. “But you can’t really argue with results.

“The people I appreciate the most are those I didn’t have to convince that I would be successful.”

Growing up, Trevor’s parents served as his support system.

When he wanted to make the world’s largest peace sign, they were there.

When he wanted to learn to play the piano, the saxophone, the drums, they took him to practice and listened to him play.

And when Trevor decided to try his hand at DJing, they bought him his first mixer.

In high school, he would DJ at school dances. It was there he perfected the philosophy that would inspire the name Good Ratio.

“You have to balance popular music with the music you really love,” he said. “As you get more widely known, you can sneak in other stuff, but you can’t forget what people like.”

Trevor said he knows he has found the perfect ratio when people start jumping up and down in the club.
“The goal is to get people excited and dancing to the music.”

Trevor, who also does video production, said he doesn’t know yet what his post-college plans are, but he hopes to inspire people through whatever medium he chooses.

“Pulse is just the beginning. I would like to do even bigger shows. I am not sure where it is going to go, but this is what I am doing right now.

“I just like having an impact and touching people. My goal in life is to inspire people. The feeling I get from sharing and making music and movies – it is a great feeling. I believe in the idea of being a determined artist. I hope I can be an artist my whole life.”

ALL PHOTOS COURTESY OF TREVOR DOUGHERTY

Melissa Paniagua is a senior journalism major at The University of North Carolina – Chapel Hill, specializing in public relations. She is currently a fashion market intern at ELLE Magazine. On campus, Melissa acts as the Her Campus president as well as the vice president of the Carolina Association of Future Magazine Editors, UNC’s Ed2010 chapter. In the past, she has been an intern for Southern Weddings Magazine and a contributing writer for Her Campus. Melissa has an appreciation for all things innovative, artful and well designed and hopes to work in marketing for a women’s lifestyle magazine in the future!