Time to hit the slopes!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Montana chapter.

Hello winter! Snow has officially started to stick and the ski hills have opened up. Ate to much turkey and don’t feel quite ready to strap in to your skis or snowboard? Don’t worry, with this great advice on toning up you will be ready to hit the slopes in no time!  Weather you’re a first timer or you’ve been hoping on the lift ever since you can remember, there are tons of tiny tricks that will make your trips up to the mountain much more pleasantly memorable.   

First and foremost, tighten up your core. Your core strength is going to be important weather you ski or snowboard. The core helps in multiple ways, one of the most important being balance. Weather you hit up the pilaties class at the rec center a couple times a week, or do your sit up routine religiously before bed every night, you will most definitely notice a difference when your ski catches an edge and you can catch your balance.  

Next, make sure you are increasing the amount of stretching you do. Just because stretching doesn’t get your heart rate speeding stretching is one of the most important things you can do for your body. Stretching protects your joints, helps to reduce tension in the muscles and increases your range of motion.

Along with those things you’re going to want to buff it up a bit. Strength, especially in the lower body, is very important to have a successful day on the mountain. Weather you are more of a stair climber or squat kind of girl, make sure you are working as many leg and hip muscles as possible. So make sure you throw those calf raises in there too!

Add some cardio in with the above and you have got yourself a killer workout plan to make your skiing experiences go from miserable to memorable.  Make sure that you head up to the slopes prepared. Warmth is key so make sure you are cute and cozy. Layer up incase the sun decides to shine threw later in the day. And  last but certainly not least don’t forget your lip gloss, you never know who will end up riding up on the lift next to you!

Alyse is a senior at the University of Montana with a journalism major. She was born and raised in the small town of Dillon, Montana. When not busy with school, Alyse likes to enjoy the beautiful mountains of Montana. In addition to volunteering with Her Campus, Alyse also volunteers at the YWCA by leading support groups for domestic violence and sexual assualt survivors. After graduation, Alyse wants to explore the field of journalism in a warm and sunny climate.