Summer Living in Missoula

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Montana chapter.

Trying to find somewhere to live for the summer is a daunting task when you’re mind is focused on finishing the last jam-packed weeks of homework and preparing or simply just stressing yourself out about upcoming finals, but it is possible. It can be especially stressful for first-time renters who balk at the mention of “utilities paid” or “security deposit”, but there are tons of resources available to you!

When you’ve never looked for housing outside of the dorms or greek row before, the best place to start is with friends who have since they will be your most honest and helpful source of information and it won’t cost anything. Also, many rooms that will be available for sub-letting become available through private leasers and property owners, and often times they are available because a friend of a friend is going home or on vacation for the summer and need someone to sub-let their room or apartment for them, and the only place you will find these besides through word-of-mouth is on craigslist. I don’t know about you, but I’d rather find one through a friend than have to go through a stranger, and it’s a lot easier than your other options.

Speaking of those other options, we’ll start with the well known property management companies in Missoula. This is where things tend to get a little tricky, because there is more paperwork involved, usually more expenses and more red-tape. It is much more difficult to lease an available apartment for only 3 months, since most companies require a minimum 6 month lease and more often, a minimum year lease, but if you can find a renter that will allow you to have a month-to-month for only 3 months with the possibility of an extension, it might work. A good place to find management sites and advice for all the details that go along with it is on the University of Montana current students page, under ASUM’s Off-Campus Renter Website. This site offers tons of advice and information for those looking into off-campus housing and is a wonderful starting point.

The other option available, which can be a little more expensive than sub-letting a room through a friend or private property owner, is paying to live in a dorm room for the summer through the university. This is convenient for students taking summer classes especially but it is quite a bit more limiting than living in a room or apartment where you have more freedom.

Of course, if you’re lucky and can find somewhere to live with a friend or family member for free, then you’ll save quite a bit of money but if you need to find somewhere else, do your research, plan well and you’ll be fine!

Campus Correspondant- My Campus Montana, colettemaddock@hercampus.com Colette Maddock is a senior at the University of Montana (class of 2011). She is a print Journalism major and a Women's Studies minor from Whitefish, Montana. This summer she interned at Skiing Magazine. She is passionate about winter sports, and loves skiing and figure skating. In her spare time she reads tons of books, tries to cook, and spends time with her friends.