I Do: Saying Yes to Marriage and School

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Montana chapter.
Bride-to-Be’s in School
By: Julia Williamson
Flowers, cake, parties, dresses, invitations all run through every bride-to-be’s mind but throw in midterms, textbooks and essays and you have a busy bride.  The job of being a student can be challenging and planning a wedding can be stressful but doing both at the same time can be scary.  

There are many bride-to-be’s finishing up there collegiate years and planning a wedding.  Yet they are each finding a balance in their lives with their fiancés.

I, myself am a bride-to-be engaged to Jon Cummings and am finishing up my last year of my undergraduate career.  However, balancing school, my social life and planning the wedding have been exciting.  I have found that the wedding planning is a stress relief and something to day dream about.  
Pharmacy student,

Alexa Fromm got engaged in July, 2011 to Cole Lockwood in the middle of Flathead Lake.  Alexa and Cole met at the University of Montana and have been dating for almost four years.  

Business student, Sarah Behunin got engaged in September, 2010 to Justin Fosse at their apartment with the help of her best friend.  “I opened the door and he was on one knee with the ring and in front of him was ‘Will you marry me?’ in red and white rose petals,” she said smiling.  

Both of these couples have found a balance in their education and starting their lives together.  “Some of the biggest challenges include having to work a lot more than the average college student because you have more bills, food, and higher rent to pay for.   But I think it is more than worth it,” said bride Sarah.

Planning a wedding and going to school is a challenge as Sarah said, but also a joy.  “All I want to do is plan the wedding,” said bride Alexa.  It is an enjoyable time Alexa said, without the help of her Mom setting appointments and scheduling she would not be as far along as she is.  Leaning on others and asking for help can be hard for many brides but without the help of others at times, you will get nowhere and feel even more stressed.  

Talking to Sarah and Alexa it is all about being organized and understanding priorities.  Every bride-to-be is different, but the three of us share a few things in common, we laughed at the movie ‘Bridesmaid’ and we are each counting down to our wedding days!

Alyse is a senior at the University of Montana with a journalism major. She was born and raised in the small town of Dillon, Montana. When not busy with school, Alyse likes to enjoy the beautiful mountains of Montana. In addition to volunteering with Her Campus, Alyse also volunteers at the YWCA by leading support groups for domestic violence and sexual assualt survivors. After graduation, Alyse wants to explore the field of journalism in a warm and sunny climate.