This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Montana chapter.
Say what you will about our football team, hippies, hipsters, or sense of fashion, there’s no denying it—Missoula is Montana’s music center.

In the past year alone, we have had some big names drop in: Pretty Lights, Blue Scholars, Modest Mouse, Tech N9ne, 3OH!3, Kottonmouth Kings, Hinder, John Butler Trio Band, and Lotus…just to name a few. This doesn’t even include the local talent that plays at the clubs and bars downtown most nights of the week! The beauty of our city is that there’s always somewhere to be and something to do, no matter what your interests are. To find your place to be over the next few months, check out this music line up that’s hitting Missoula.

1. Sound of Music Sing-Along: Like I said, there’s somewhere for everyone in Missoula. The Missoula Community Chorus presents this event for an evening and matinee show on October 29. Check the Wilma’s website for ticket info!

2. Jack’s Mannequin: On November 4th, this is where I will be. Andrew McMahon of Jack’s Mannequin is an established artist who began his music career with the band Something Corporate. After Something Corporate took a hiatus, McMahon used the opportunity to create a project more geared to his individual taste with Jack’s Mannequin. Following the release of his new album “People and Things”, Jack’s Mannequin will tour with The Academy Is on the “People and Things Tour”. Grab tickets at the Wilma or Rockin Rudy’s.

3. Tech N9ne: Say what you will about Tech N9ne and his music, but the guy knows how to party. If you’re looking for a good night out and high energy music and dancing, this is the place to be. Tech N9ne will be performing once again at the Wilma on November 5th. Check The Wilma’s website for details.

4. Seventh Day Slumber: If you’re looking for a night to become a part of something bigger and listen to some good music, check out Seventh Day Slumber. The troublesome backgrounds of each of the band members lead to their discovery of God and the creation of their band. Whether you are religious or not, these guys have some good things to say. Get your FREE admission passes at the Garden of Read’n.

4. Boombox & Blue Tech: If you’re looking to get further submersed in dub step, this is the show to go to. The Top Hat’s always an awesome venue, and they’re opening their doors for this show for audiences 18+. Grab your tickets at Ear Candy or look at the Top Hat’s website for online purchasing.

5. Grieves & Prof: Grieves is coming straight from Seattle to our front door. …Okay, maybe he’s making some other stops on his Together/Apart tour, and maybe the Top Hat isn’t your front door, but some of Seattle’s best hip hop is coming to Missoula! Check him out at the Top Hat on October 13 for only $12/$14. To get tickets drop by the Top Hat’s website.

6. Blue Scholars: Another one of Seattle’s best hip hop groups, coming to Missoula for the second time this year. And this time their performance isn’t in the middle of finals week! Blue Scholars comes with socially conscious lyrics and some unforgettable music. Don’t miss their show, it will sell out! Grab your tickets at Rockin Rudy’s or online at the Top Hat’s website.  

Alyse is a senior at the University of Montana with a journalism major. She was born and raised in the small town of Dillon, Montana. When not busy with school, Alyse likes to enjoy the beautiful mountains of Montana. In addition to volunteering with Her Campus, Alyse also volunteers at the YWCA by leading support groups for domestic violence and sexual assualt survivors. After graduation, Alyse wants to explore the field of journalism in a warm and sunny climate.