Wildcat Homecoming 2012

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UK chapter.

Homecoming is right around the corner for UK. If you are looking to get involved on campus, or just want something to do next week, homecoming is the perfect chance. The theme for this years homecoming is “The Blueprint: Building on Tradition”.

The Wildcat Cup will be awarded to the on campus organization with the most participation in the activities, so if you’re Greek or in any other club or organization be sure and score some points towards your group and help raise some school spirit!

Saturday, October 13

Paint the Town Blue begins at 8 AM (ends Monday at 8 AM, windows remain decorated through Sunday, October 21). Windows on campus and around local businesses will be painted by UK student organizations to show school spirit.

Sunday, October 14

The annual DanceBlue 5K begins at 3 PM in the Red lot at Commonwealth Stadium. DanceBlue is an annual event in spring semester; all of the money benefits the UK Pediatric Oncology Clinic.

Monday, October 15

Paint the Town picnic and winner announcement at 11AM at POT

Pep rally and royalty announcement at 8 PM at Wildcat Plaza

Tuesday, October 16

Kitty Karnival at 5 PM on the South Campus Courtyards this year’s theme is “Pumpkinpalooza” and each organization will create its own carnival style game for local children.

Mo’ Betta Basketball Game- Presented by the Black Student Union at 7 PM in the Seaton Center. Student Basketball players and alumni basketball players will go head to head and complete for the homecoming trophy.

Wednesday, October 17

Mr. and Miss Black UK AT 7 PM at Memorial Hall

Friday, October 19

SeeBlue day at Keeneland (Versailles Road), visit North Terrace to hear UK students singing, the cheerleaders and mascot, former UK football player and current NFL player for the Denver Broncos, Jacob Tamme and tons of horse racing!

Homecoming parade 6:30 PM downtown (floats can be worked on every night in Blue Lot of Commonwealth Stadium from 8 PM- midnight). Come out to see what theme all the organizations chose for their floats, watch the cheerleaders, band, royalty and community representatives walk in the parade as well!

NPHC Step Show at 7PM in the East Wing of the Lexington Center, tickets are $20 at the door.

Saturday, October 20

Football game against University of Georgia Bulldogs at 7 PM, announcement of royalty, parade and Wildcat Cup winners will be announced at halftime, and enjoy a tailgate 2 ½ hours before kickoff by gate 4! Come out and cheer the Cats to a victory!

Micheck, 7:30 PM at the Student Center Cats Den. This is an annual homecoming event where students and alumni alike are invited to come out and show their talent!

Be sure and attend a few events this week and show how you SeeBlue and support your Cats! UK is HUGE on tradition and this is a longstanding one and a ton of fun! Grab a group of friends and head out to enjoy the lovely fall weather in Lexington. Keep up with all the events by visiting UK’s website, Student Activities Board’s website, follow them on twitter @UKHomecoming or like “UK Homecoming” on Facebook as well.

Rachael Gilley is in her junior year at the University of Kentucky, majoring in English and minoring in Psychology. Although she was born and raised in northwestern Ohio, she has spent the past seven years in Kentucky and is a Wildcat fan at heart. She hopes to travel the world for at least a few months before settling into a high school level teaching position upon graduating in 2014. Rachael is an avid book-reader, loves finding new music to blast in her car, and spending her Sunday afternoons learning more about yoga.