Music Blog: What’s Your “Tunnel Song”?

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UIC chapter.

The Perks of Being a Wallflower, starring Logan Miller, Emma Watson and Ezra Miller, came out long enough ago that I’m shamed in admitting my first viewing happened only recently. While I don’t want to rewrite a plot summary of the film, I will address a scene of significant and of course, musical inspiration.

Those who have seen Perks before may be familiar with the “tunnel scene.” The major characters embark on a nighttime joy ride. As they speed through the tunnel and into the city lights, magic ensues. David Bowie’s “Heroes” blasts, an anthem that parallels the youth and the pure thrill of being. This moment makes the characters feel alive, feel infinite.

While I have a few songs that provoke feelings of similar exhilaration, I will share just one with you. Watch the video, and meditate on one question this week: what’s your “tunnel song”?

30 Seconds to Mars, “Kings and Queens” 

Meaghan craves music almost as much as a good cup of coffee or a bagel smothered with cream cheese. Therefore, her most significant contribution to HerCampus arises once a week via her "Music Blog" section. Through this column, Meaghan hopes to inform and excite readers, introducing them to a variety of new music and music-related topics. Although difficult to decipher her crystal ball's contents, she would love to be working towards an outlet that combines design, writing, music, fashion, art and entertainment in the future. Obsessions also include the color pink and quoting her favorite films. 
UIC Contributor.