Music Blog: Brooklyn Boys and Black Sun

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UIC chapter.

This week was packed with music, so I thought I would do a double feature! Read on to get the scoop on two bands making waves on our radar.

Last Monday evening I had the pleasure of retreating into a musical abyss, courtesy of Bottom Lounge. This offbeat venue housed a perfect fit, the cool and unclassified boys from Brooklyn, Ambassadors. Built around brotherhood, the indie four-piece generates a loud and layered sound that borrows bits from multiple genres including funk, soul and dance rock. Growing up in a musical household, brothers Sam (vocals and back up guitar) and Casey Harris (keyboard) started the band, adding friend Noah on lead guitar and eventually Adam Levin on drums.

(photo: Lauren Keogh Photography)

Their first album, Litost, was released last year and leans towards the melancholy while still eliciting hope. A timely group of songs, the listener sinks into tracks that mimic winter blues yet rises with the euphoric energy that remains. The alluring contrast accommodates gloom but reminds us that warmer months are coming. Listen to their powerful single, “Unconsolable,” below!

Get psyched for more shows to come at Bottom Lounge, 1375 W. Lake, only a 10-minute commute from UIC!

3/4-Anberlin

4/4-Twenty One Pilots

In other tune talk, Austrialian tribal pop band, Gold Fields, has finally released their debut album, Black Sun!

(album art: Leonard Bros Creative)

Although the band is young, their unique sound and infectious tracks put these Aussies well on their way to major hype. You may have heard their hypnotic dance single, “Dark Again (Lights Out)” on Chicago’s own Q87.7 radio station or noted it on our Top 13 Tracks for 2013. Regardless, the album does not disappoint. The five guys visited last month to play at Lincoln Hall and just recently performed on Jimmy Kimmel Live. They will continue to excite audiences across the U.S. as they tour with Los Angeles natives, Capital Cities

Ready to explore the world of Gold Fields? Then grab some headphones, and click through their wild album sampler below!

Meaghan craves music almost as much as a good cup of coffee or a bagel smothered with cream cheese. Therefore, her most significant contribution to HerCampus arises once a week via her "Music Blog" section. Through this column, Meaghan hopes to inform and excite readers, introducing them to a variety of new music and music-related topics. Although difficult to decipher her crystal ball's contents, she would love to be working towards an outlet that combines design, writing, music, fashion, art and entertainment in the future. Obsessions also include the color pink and quoting her favorite films. 
UIC Contributor.