This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UIC chapter.

I meet with senior Candace Doh during the crowded lunch hour at UIC’s Pier Room. Many people are sitting down and walking by, but finding Doh wasn’t an issue; with a great smile and confident strut, she could stand out in any crowd. Doh is twenty-one years young and majoring in Psychology with a Criminal Law and Justice minor. Not only is Doh a hard-working student, but also a model in her free time. 

HC: Not only are you a student and model, but also a fellow member of the UIC Her Campus team! How do you contribute to this fine magazine?

This is my third year working for Her Campus. This year in specific I’m writing articles about going to fashion shows, being in fashion shows and taking pictures at them. Pretty much I’m writing about all my fashion experiences here in Chicago.

HC: How did you get involved in modeling? When did you become serious about it?

I didn’t become serious about modeling until my sophomore year in college. I auditioned for Chicago Fashion Week and made the cut!

HC: Where are some places you’ve traveled for modeling?

Pretty much all over the United States; Las Vegas, Atlanta, New York, and Texas. Also England

And Paris. I recently just got back from Paris, it was so much fun. All the homework I have to catch up on is not fun though. That part isn’t exciting!

HC: Describe what goes through your head when you’re strutting down a runway. Do you ever get nervous?

Do not fall! Do everything right except fall. When the girl in front of me in line is going I get a little nervous because I know I’m about to go, but after that, no.

HC: Describe the craziest outfit you’ve had to model?

Let’s see, well there’s two. One was a giant gown that was like a tent. Imagine walking down a runway wearing a tent. The other crazy one was this furry yellow jacket that went down to my feet. I felt like Big Bird.

HC: How do you balance modeling and being a student?

Ummm…barely! I’m studying and going to class half the time and the other half I’m modeling. School is much more important to me, modeling is just something I want to do while I’m still young.

HC: I watch enough America’s Next Top Model to know that it’s a tough business, how do you make yourself stand out?

I tell myself I have to walk better than everybody else, and perfect my skills. Just be as graceful and respectful as possible. Manners and gracefulness are huge.

Graceful and respectful, she is! It was a pleasure meeting Candace Doh and her final words of the interview were, “Tell everyone to like Her Campus UIC on Facebook and follow us on Instagram!” So, you heard the woman!

Katie is a freshman at UIC, majoring in Communications. She loves to read novels by Ellen Hopkins and spend all her money at Sephora.
Claudia was born in Mexico and moved to Chicago at the age of 8. She is currently attending the University of Illinois at Chicago as a Marketing major. She is really excited to be a part of the HerCampus team and is ready to make HC grow at UIC. She can’t go a day without exercising and especially enjoys Zumba! She loves fashion and reads blogs every day, that’s where she gets her inspiration when she dresses, and hopes to one day have her own! Claudia is currently a representative for AKIRA Chicago, for discount codes contact her at (cmarti74@uic.edu). She strives to be a better person every day, and is really thankful for everything she has. One of Claudia’s favorite quotes is “Enjoy all that you have while you pursue everything that you want”.