Campus Celeb: Savannah Ridge

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UIC chapter.

Where are you from?

I’m from Park Ridge. I can take the blue line home so that it means it’s considered part of Chicago but I don’t see it that way. I lived there my whole life with my mom, my dad, and my two younger sisters. 

How are you liking living in the city for college?

I like it very much  because I get to look out my window and see the Sears Tower. It’s so inspiring. I like all of the things going on in the city so I never feel bored. If I had time I would go to all of the museums. I’m actually going to see the Jelly Fish exhibit at the aquarium in a few weeks with my little sister who’s spending the night! 

What year are you in school and what is your major?

I’m a sophomore and my major currently is Communications. I’m thinking about switching to Occupational Therapy and Kinesiology because I did a lot of work over the summer with Occupational Therapy helping a boy who is 5 years old. I fell in love with it right away. Occupational Therapy is teaching or reteaching patients how to do everyday life tasks. For example, tying shoes, dressing, eating, etc.

What are your plans after college?

I plan to live downtown and work for a hospital. I don’t have one in mind as of right now but I’m looking into it soon. It would be cool to travel to different countries where they have less doctors and work with them there.

Are you in any on-campus organizations currently?

Yes, I am in Phi Sigma Sigma which is a national sorority on campus. I became a member last fall and I am currently the service chair. I am very passionate about giving back to our community and with this position I get to plan all of the volunteer work that my 66 other sisters and I get to participate in on and off campus. I love my sorority because we have a house and I live there right now. It has gotten me so much closer to the girls and it’s made me appreciate the sisterhood even more.

What activities do you like to do in your free time?

Well, free time is hard to find. I like taking the train to go shopping and eating at different places downtown. In the summer, I try to spend as much time as I can at the Chicago beaches. I also really enjoy relaxing and hanging out with my friends. Sometimes it’s just nice to not have anything to do.

If you could give anyone one piece of advice that you live your life by, what would it be?

My dad has told me don’t ever hesitate to reach out for something you’re unsure about. Many of my best decisions were things I originally said no to.

Claudia was born in Mexico and moved to Chicago at the age of 8. She is currently attending the University of Illinois at Chicago as a Marketing major. She is really excited to be a part of the HerCampus team and is ready to make HC grow at UIC. She can’t go a day without exercising and especially enjoys Zumba! She loves fashion and reads blogs every day, that’s where she gets her inspiration when she dresses, and hopes to one day have her own! Claudia is currently a representative for AKIRA Chicago, for discount codes contact her at (cmarti74@uic.edu). She strives to be a better person every day, and is really thankful for everything she has. One of Claudia’s favorite quotes is “Enjoy all that you have while you pursue everything that you want”.