SGA President Candidate: Jordyn Chaffold

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UH chapter.

With SGA elections rapidly approaching, Her Campus UH decided to let y’all get to know our presidential candidates a little bit better. Being involved in your campus community is an amazing opportunity—one that we as students should grab hold of! Think about the issues that are important to you- textbook prices, mental health resources, parking- and find a candidate who shares your point of views!

Voting Day: February 28- March 2

Let’s meet Jordyn Chaffold!

1. Goals are part of the reason you’re running for office, I presume. What’s one of your goals/ things you want to work on if you get elected?
    1. The public perception of the SGA, it was tarnished in the last administration and for the longest has seemed like an elitist group to many students I talk to. People don’t feel comfortable walking up there all the time. I want to change that atmosphere.
    2. Be transparent to the students, people want to know what’s going on in SGA without having to go far to seek their information. We’re in the technology age right now where people want to have information right in front of them rather than having to dig deep to find it. I encourage all Fee-Funded organizations to make their information a lot easier to find you’d be surprised what is sought after once made easier to find.
    3. Give students their voice back, I want our administration to be in constant communication with the student body. I have heard a lot from people lately saying ‘Students have come to me saying this’, ‘the students feel this way’. Let’s change that narrative to ‘I met with some students last week’, ‘we reached out to this organization to see what SGA could do for them’. Don’t make people come to us with complaints, come to them for input. Just because you leave the door open doesn’t mean people want to walk in.
  2. Your running mate! Why did y’all decide to run together? What is your favorite thing about that person?
    1. I’d rather skip to the part where I say “I love Farah so much”. She’s really great, I chose her because I noticed how professional and well spoken she was, after getting to know her I couldn’t have picked anyone better. We get along, we have similar interests and we hang out even when we’re not talking about elections. I value her as a friend and if we lose I hope we can continue to be friends.
  3. What are some of the organizations that you’re involved with on campus?
    1. I actually used to be a snapshot coordinator for HERCAMPUS, I sent in a couple pictures I took because I am a freelance photographer. Unfortunately the position no longer exists. I am also the President and Co-Founder of one of the first arts based organizations on campus called Uncommon Colors. I serve as the Special Advisor for Campus Diversity in SGA where I communicate with Culture Organizations on behalf of the president. I am a general member of COOG RADIO, COOGTV, I was a general member in the Black Student Union. My organization is apart of the Council of Ethnic Organizations, we have also worked with SPB to coordinate an annual event Bring Your Own Mixtape and with Frontier Fiesta to bring Uncommon Fiesta.
  4. Let’s talk about midday coffee fixes: What are the places that a UH student should hit up on and off campus? What drink is the one the barista probably has memorized as your drink at this point?
    1. I don’t Drink Coffee but you might be able to find me and Farah at the Nook if you’re lucky.
  5. Last thing! What’s your elevator pitch for why people should vote for you?
    1. I’m not a politician, I have no interest in politics I am a regular student who wants to make a change, I know a lot of people, I have good relationships with administration, and I have a strong supportive team of student leaders from diverse backgrounds. Our platform is very simple: we’re the House of Innovation and although we plan to work tirelessly on parking, food, and affordability we believe that above all you have to stand by a set of ideals. Those ideals being Transparency, Education, Student Engagement/Involvement, and Diversity and Inclusion.
Jacqueline is a current student at the University of Houston, and is pursuing a degree in Communications. She enjoys long walks to the bookstore, Korean BBQ, succulents, and chats about history. You can follow her everywhere @nobentspines.
Irina Alejandro is a sophomore at the University of Houston, getting a major in political science and two minors women's studies and international affairs. In her spare time she loves singing loudly in the shower, forcing herself to workout, and talking excessively about politics. She also enjoys long walks on the beach, going to PTA meetings and crying over minor inconveniences. If you want to contact her for a date, leave a comment on one of her articles.