A Recap of HC UFL’s Birthday Week

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UFL chapter.

September was quite exciting for the ladies of HC UFL! We planned and celebrated the 5th birthday of Her Campus National with a weeklong extravaganza — HC Birthday Week! This basically meant the color pink covered Turlington Plaza for four days straight… But hey, we’re not complaining! This was the biggest event our team has ever done, so it required a lot of teamwork, time and dedication. And it was all worth it because we had a blast celebrating HC’s birthday and spreading HC love around campus! In case you missed out on a few of the events, here’s a recap of what went on every day:

Sunday, September 14: Grab-bag sale at Allure BoutiqueWe rang in the weeklong celebration with a grab-bag sale at Allure Boutique. All participants enjoyed a 15 percent discount and had the chance to draw an additional discount from a bag. The combination of endless discounts and a stunning array of gameday dresses and accessories resulted in tons of happy customers. In addition, Allure offered a raffle basket full of orange and blue goodies, and the proceeds from the raffle will be going to Pi Beta Phi’s philanthropy, Read. Lead. Achieve., because it was the sorority with the highest attendance at the event. Learn more about Allure and what it has to offer in our grab-bag sale recap

Monday, September 15: Raffle and HC swag giveawaysWe set up a table on Turlington Plaza to give away adorable pink HC cups and pens. Visitors to the table had the chance to sign up for our weekly email newsletter and sign our giant birthday card, which we will be sending to HC’s national headquarters in Boston this week. We also started selling raffle tickets for a huge basket of freebies including HC sunglasses, an HC UFL shirt, Paul Frank flip flops, an HC tumblr, a VS PINK makeup bag and more!

Tuesday, September 16: Make-Your-Wish photo booth and freebiesUnfortunately, Mother Nature was not in the mood to celebrate HC’s real birthday on Tuesday. We set up a photo shoot where participants wrote what they wished for on a whiteboard and posed with crowns, feather boas and birthday balloons for some candy, but the rain had other plans. See the recap of Thursday for more details on how we didn’t let the rain get the best of us!

Wednesday, September 17: PINK Wednesday with UF Victoria’s Secret PINK The craziest day of the week by far! We partnered with the girls from UF VS PINK’s street team for a huge giveaway event on Turlington. It’s safe to say putting the words “free” and either “bra” or “yoga pants” in the same sentence results in endless lines and confused stares from passing male students. Any girls who were patient enough to wait in the line and who wore either the color pink or VS PINK merchandise were eligible for a free underwear coupon and a raffle ticket. Raffles included an animal print padded bralette, yoga pants and PINK dogs and tumblrs. Any participants not wearing pink to the event played “PINK Pong” for a chance to get a raffle ticket. The event was a huge success for both UF VS PINK and HC UFL!

Thursday, September 18: Gator girl photo booth and koozie giveawayFor the first half of Thursday’s event, we offered the Make-Your-Wish photo shoot and handed out candy again to celebrate HC’s birthday properly. Halfway through the day, we transitioned to our Gator girl photo booth where students could take photos with our Gators-themed signs to show support for the Gators in the big game against Alabama. We also allowed participants to sign up for our weekly email newsletter and picked the winner for our raffle basket, Marissa Giron!

Friday, September 19: #HerCampusFBF social media contestTo celebrate the last day HC Birthday Week!, we hosted a birthday-themed social media contest. Students had to post a Flashback Friday birthday photo and use the hashtag #HerCampusFBF to enter. The prize was the new to-die-for striped #HCXO tote bag filled with a few HC goodies. After looking through all Instagram and Twitter entries, we finally decided on the photo above from McKenzie Johnson (@princess_layze)!

Once again, Happy 5th Birthday to Her Campus National! We’re so happy to have celebrated with you ladies! You can check out the photos from the week on our Facebook page (all photo booth photos are here, so tag yourself if you participated!), but in the meantime we have a video recap of the entire week right here: 

Victoria is a junior journalism major at the University of Florida. As a writer for Her Campus, she enjoyed writing about fashion and giving advice to readers. She is currently a senior editor of Her Campus UFL and is in training to become the chapter's next Campus Correspondent. Outside of class and Her Campus, you can find Victoria scoping out cute boys with friends, longboarding around campus, or hanging out with her Alpha Omicron Pi sisters. She enjoys traveling to new cities, spending time outside, drinking toffee nut iced coffees, shopping, trying new types of food and working for Her Campus!