Fitness with Finesse: DIY Your Own Workout Equipment

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UFL chapter.

I’m a total DIY junkie — I love scrolling endlessly through Pinterest looking for seasonal crafts. Being DIY obsessed, I was excited to find out that you can also DIY fitness equipment! This is super helpful if you’re trying to save money or you are just wanting to get a quick workout right from the comfort home.

Here’s some simple workout  equipment you can DIY this holiday season:

1. Hand Weights

Grab one or two of the dozen of water bottles you have lying around your room and fill them up with sand to make them a little heavier. Use these to get a good arm workout and tone!

2. Yoga Mat

If you’re wanting to get into yoga, an easy way to start is by making your own mat. All you need is a roll of no-slip kitchen shelf liner (5 feet long and 1 inch thick). You can also use this mat to do other exercises, like pilates or ab workouts.

3. Medicine Ball

Medicine balls are great to tone all of your body. There are so many uses and it’s super easy to make. Grab a basketball and drill a small hole in one of the black stripes, grab a funnel and fill in the desired amount of sand in the ball. The more sand you add, the heavier your medicine ball will be. Once you add the amount of sand you desire, use duct tape to patch up the hole.

4. Resistance Band

Use an old pair of tights to create a resistance band and get your squats on. Tie a double knot on the feet, and then loop it around twice. Position the band just above or below the knee and get those thighs burning.

Before you go and spend your money on name-brand fitness equipment, consider making it yourself. Sure it won’t be as fancy as the devices  you’d buy, but it works and does the trick just fine. Happy DIYing, collegiates!

Photo credit: huffingtonpost.com

Natalie Cardenas is a fourth year Political Science and Spanish major at the University of Florida. She is from Miami, so Spanglish is basically her first language. She enjoys watching Friends, obsessing over stationery, and lives in black leggings. This past summer she interned with Latina Magazine in NYC, and fell in love with the city life. She plans on booking a one way ticket to the Big Apple after graduation.