photos by lanty zUU73lEdcBU unsplash
photos by lanty zUU73lEdcBU unsplash

7 Small-Yet-Important Resolutions for 2018

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UFL chapter.

Happy 2018, collegiettes! 2017 was an insane year to say the least, but this new year offers hope and promise of a better time ahead. During January, most people make resolutions that they will supposedly stick to for the whole year. “Get healthy,” “lose weight” and “find love” are among the most common.  While these goals are created with the best intention, they are often too large and vague to stick to. 

According to Psychology Today, 50 percent of people who made a resolution fail three months into the new year, and the top reason for failure is vague goals.  If you’re like me and are using 2018 to make some changes but are discouraged by the statistics, here are seven small resolutions that will make 2018 the best year yet. 

1. Run a 5K

If you want to become a lean machine in 2018, specific fitness goals like this one are the way to go. I have never been a runner, but a lull in my fitness has inspired me to try something new.  Running, like all exercise, is an essential part of a healthy lifestyle.  This goal is great because you can go at your own pace.  If you are already pretty fit, you can probably accomplish this goal in a short amount of time, and then modify your goal to be a 10K and above.  If you are new to running, working up to a 5K might take some time. So sign up for that 5K and start running!

2. Drink an entire (large) bottle of water

Until recently, I was a very dehydrated person.  I didn’t realize how much water is needed to fuel my body, and that the two or three glasses I was drinking weren’t nearly enough.  To make hydration a habit, I bought myself a cute water bottle and made myself drink the whole thing.  Seems pretty easy, right?  But I struggled at first because this bottle was massive.  Once I got a few weeks in, finishing the bottle was easy. I noticed a change in my skin, physique and overall energy.  Marshalls and TJMaxx have the cutest (and largest) water bottles around.

3. Amp up my pull-up game

I know I am not the only young woman out there that struggles with upper body strength, that is to say, I have none.  Weights and lifting always intimidated me, but I’m also impressed by people who can do a pull-up.  Why can’t I be one of them?  There are a variety of ways to accomplish this goal, but it is more effective than just pledging to work on upper body strength.  This is one of my personal goals for the year, and I can’t wait to be showing up those frat guys with my strength!

4. Begin a newfriendship with at least one stranger

We all have our squad, our ride-or-dies.  I’ve been feeling like I have been turning down opportunities to meet new people because I have such a close group of friends.  Mental health is just as important as physical health, and friendships are so important to our state of mind.  Maybe you will become close with someone from your class, or maybe a girl in your sorority you haven’t talked to much. New friendships bring new outlooks and perspectives to life. What’s better than that?

5. Travel to a new destination

We all claim to have #wanderlust, but in 2018 we should go beyond just scrolling through Instagram travel pics and make plans to visit someplace new.  It doesn’t have to be a far-away place; there are plenty of places in Florida that I haven’t seen yet. Whether it is a weekend getaway or a longer stay, getting out of ones comfort zone and exploring is good for the soul.

6. Floss

“I made a resolution to floss, and I did it. 12:01, January first, BAM! Blood everywhere.” This Michael Scott quote is perhaps a bit extreme, but I can relate to it — slightly. In 2018, I want to practice self-care and doing tasks that benefit me. Flossing is obviously important, but I find myself saying that I don’t have the time. This year, let’s make the time and take care of ourselves, and maybe at the next visit to the dentist we won’t get the “you should floss more” line from the hygenist.

7. Delete one form of social media

I know this may sound extreme, but wouldn’t it be nice to have one less social media platform to keep up? I chose to delete Twitter, and I already feel better. I never tweeted anyways, but would spend too much time scrolling through the feed. We all deserve time to reflect and relax, but social media often makes young girls anxious or upset when their lives do not match up to the perfect lives of the people they follow. Maybe you want to delete a dating app, or perhaps all the apps, but giving yourself time back to be present is one of the best things you can do for yourself.

Best of luck in the new year, collegiettes!

Courtney is a freshman majoring in History with a minor in Dance. This is her first semester writing for Her Campus UFL and she's so excited to have this opportunity! Courtney enjoys reading Jane Austen classics, traveling to new places all over the globe, and eating maybe too much Ben and Jerry's ice cream. She's a sister of Delta Nu Zeta, a service sorority on campus, and loves being able to help the community and grow as a proud member of the Gator Nation!
Darcy Schild is a University of Florida junior majoring in journalism. She's the Editor-in-Chief of Her Campus UFL and was previously a Her Campus national section editor. She spent Summer 2017 as an Editorial Intern at HC headquarters in Boston, where she oversaw the "How She Got There" section and wrote and edited feature articles and news blogs. She also helped create the weekly Her Campus Instagram Story series, Informed AF. Follow her on Twitter and on her blog, The Darcy Diaries.