5 Stages of a Messy Room

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UFL chapter.

As college students, our rooms get messy. It’s pretty much inevitable. Between club meetings, late nights at Library West, and even later nights at Midtown,, it’s hard to make time to clean up. For some, a mess is simply having a shoe out of place, but for others it means straining their eyes to see the floor. No matter what category you fall under, we have all experienced the gross reality that comes with being a college student. Here are the stages our rooms go through before you realize it is a pigsty:

Stage 1: Shoes The first sign of clutter in our rooms usually starts with shoes. We come home from class or stumble in from Midtown at 3 a.m. and all we want to do is take our shoes off. Somehow we end up with 15 different pairs of shoes strewn across the floor.

Stage 2: Accessories We’re often in a scramble getting ready in the morning. As we rush out the door, it’s so easy to leave out our makeup and hair styling tools. Morning after morning of putting away our beauty supplies, it somehow becomes very rational to leave it all out on the counter for easy access the next morning.

Stage 3: Clothes Next come the clothes… They’re tossed all over the floor in an effort to find the perfect outfit. There is also the pile of dirty laundry you have somehow managed to avoid doing for three weeks. Before you know it, there are more clothes on your floor than in your closet.

Stage 4: Bed At the beginning of the semester, you try really hard to make your bed every day and arrange all of your Albert and Alberta stuffed animals in a pleasing way. Then eventually you give up, realizing it is a futile effort. Your bed goes unmade for weeks, and you end up sleeping with clothes, shoes, food crumbs, and everything else in between. The only time you ever make your bed is right before your boyfriend or parents come into town.

Stage 5: Food You know your room has finally has reached its peak of destruction when you begin to find food everywhere. This can range from food wrappers on the floor to dishes on your bedside table. And if you’re like me, you may find you have an entire stockpile of snacks right in your own bed!

Whether you are a full-blown hoarder or you’re figuratively OCD about keeping every textbook perfectly stacked on your shelf, we all get messy sometimes. You can either embrace your messy side, attempt to hide it, or try your best to avoid it. But whatever you do, rock it while you can get away with it and are still in college. 

Cara oversees Her Campus Media's community department and serves as strategic lead for the expansion, development and management of all HCM communities, including the Her Campus Chapter Network, InfluenceHer Collective, College Fashionista, Spoon University, Campus Trendsetters, alumni and high school. She works closely with company leadership to develop new community-related sales offerings and the Integrated Marketing team to support all community-focused client marketing programs from end to end. Cara has experience working with high-profile talent, such as Jessica Alba, Andrew Yang, Amber Tamblyn, Aja Naomi King, Troian Bellisario, Jessica Marie Garcia, Nico Tortorella, Nastia Liukin, Rebecca Minkoff, Cecile Richards and Samantha Power, as well as brands like Coca-Cola, L'Oréal Paris, The New York Times, HBO, Uber, H&M and more. Having been a part of the HC family since 2011, Cara served as Campus Correspondent of the HC chapter at the University of Florida where she studied journalism, women’s studies and leadership. A New Yorker turned Floridian, Cara has a Friends quote for any situation. You can usually find her with her friends and family at the beach, a concert or live sports event or binge-watching Grey's Anatomy or Sons of Anarchy. Follow her on Instagram and Twitter @thecararose.