3 Inspiring Women Who are Changing the Tech Game

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UFL chapter.

As technology is on the rise and considered one of the best businesses to get into, there are still a lot more men than women in the industry. Here are a few women that are changing the game, and future, for women in tech.

Whitney Wolfe Herd

When Herd graduated from Southern Methodist University at 22 years old, she helped co-found the dating app “Tinder.” In 2014 she left the company, suing for sexual harassment in the workplace. In December of that year, she founded her own dating app, “Bumble,” which was similar to “Tinder,” but different in that when a match was made between a heterosexual couple, the women had to message the man first within 24 hours, or the match would disappear. She’s kept that same motto, “Bumble, where women make the first move,” in all three verticals of the app: Bumble Dating, Bumble BFF and now Bumble Bizz, which was just launched last year. Herd has been vocal about empowering women in all aspects of life, whether it’s with love, friendships or the workplace. Forbes has valued the company at more than $1 billion.

Miroslava Duma

Duma is a Russian fashion journalist who has recently gone into the tech space. In 2011, she founded the website Buro 24/7, which was all things fashion, art, film, etc. Basically, Buro is an online, Russian fashion and culture magazine. It launched local versions in 11 different countries, including Australia, Mexico and the Middle East. But just last year, Duma founded Future Tech Lab. FTL is a hybrid company that combines an investment company with a laboratory, to find new and sustainable ways to move the fashion industry forward in a positive way. It specializes in finding and creating new textiles and materials to use.

Karlie Kloss

Kloss is most famously known for her modeling, something that began when she was 14 years old. She was also a Victoria’s Secret Angel from 2011-2014. But something you may not know is that she’s an avid computer programmer. In 2015, she partnered up with Flatiron School and Code.org to offer a scholarship titled Kode with Klossy, which goes towards helping young girls who are interested in computer science and software engineering. The program has even expanded into summer camps as of last summer.

These are only a few women making a splash in the large tech pond, and there are more and more proving every single day that no matter who you are, you can achieve success with hard work and determination.

So — what’s stopping you from starting that project you’ve been dreaming about? Go forth and conquer, collegiettes.

Sasha Saliba is a Telecommunications major at the University of Florida, with a concentration in Business. She has hosted multiple tv and news shows in Daytona Beach (her hometown) and in Gainesville, where she currently lives as she attends UF. Her goal is to work as news producer/anchor or be a communications director for a nationally recognized company. She is a self-proclaimed foodie and loves trying new restaurants and bars, as well as traveling. Her favorite magazine to read is Cosmopolitan.
Darcy Schild is a University of Florida junior majoring in journalism. She's the Editor-in-Chief of Her Campus UFL and was previously a Her Campus national section editor. She spent Summer 2017 as an Editorial Intern at HC headquarters in Boston, where she oversaw the "How She Got There" section and wrote and edited feature articles and news blogs. She also helped create the weekly Her Campus Instagram Story series, Informed AF. Follow her on Twitter and on her blog, The Darcy Diaries.