Health Hacks for When You Leave Home

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCT chapter.

We have all been there. It is our first year at university and we’re away from home for the first time. So, what do we do? Consume greasy cafeteria foods, washed down with coffee and a doughnut. Coupled with a lack of sleep and next to no fresh produce, our immune systems cave in and we’re left with a variety of unpleasant symptoms. Here are a few solutions to help you get through:

1) Have a headache?

Before you resign to popping a Panado for that monster brain killer, chug some water. Headaches are often caused by dehydration. According to Medical News Today, when the body is dehydrated, the brain can temporarily contract or shrink from fluid loss. This mechanism causes the brain to pull away from the skull, causing pain and resulting in a dehydration headache. Once rehydrated, the brain plumps up and returns to its normal state, relieving the headache. You’re welcome for the visual.

2) Sore, itchy or scratchy throat?

Gargle with lukewarm salt water (about a teaspoon in a glass of water) and then slowly swallow a teaspoon honey. According to WebMD, You’re creating a high-salt barrier and you’re pulling out a lot of fluids from the tissues in the throat area, so you’re essentially flushing the virus out. The salt functions as a magnet for water and thus relieves the sore throat. The honey acts as an anti-bacterial anti-inflammatory agent. Also, it takes away the gross salt water taste.

3) Nauseous?

One of the most annoying side-effects of excess caffeine consumption is feeling like you’re 15 months pregnant with an elephant-whale mutation. For this, simply sip some peppermint or ginger tea.

4) Bloated?

Worse than feeling pregnant is looking like you’re pregnant. This dodgy-looking drink my grandmother recommends helps. You use the juice of one lemon, two teaspoons honey, a half a teaspoon ginger powder and half a teaspoon of cloves mixed in a cup of boiling water. Drink hot. It’s really not that great tasting. Personally, I make a cup of green tea and add it in there with some cinnamon so it’s easier to swallow.

5) Rash?

I have seasonal allergies and as such, often get terrible rashes on my cheeks. An emergency hack is simply to use some nappy rash cream (disgusting, I know, but don’t hate it till you try it) and rub on the affected area. I leave it on for a few hours and then wipe it off and rinse with warm water. Magically, the rash is gone, with pimples I may have had. I like using Sudocream for this hack.

Bachelor of Arts in English Literature, Gender Studies and Anthropology at UCT.
Julia Naidoo is an English and Linguistics major at the University of Cape Town. She is the former co-Correspondent for the chapter as well as the former Senior Editor.