This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCSB chapter.

Usually, articles about Greek life present one of two extremes: 

1. I love ALL my sisters; it’s the best thing in the world. Sigma Apple Pi forever!!!

2. It’s the worst; don’t do it. It’s a cult! 

With that being said, here’s my disclaimer: this is not one of those articles

Before coming into college, I hadn’t given much thought about joining Greek life. In fact, I didn’t really know anything about it; my parents hadn’t done it and I only knew a few other people who had. Most of my exposure to it came from over-dramatized TV shows and movies with negative and superficial representations of party-obsessed, catty girls and bro-y frat guys. 

Image via Giphy.

I​n high school, I was involved in the performing arts and journalism- activities that aren’t typically associated with the sorority girl persona we see in the media. But much to my surprise (and of my peers) I decided to sign up for Fall Sorority Recruitment toward the end of my Senior year. I didn’t want anything to do with the portrayals I had seen on TV, but I considered the positive experiences of people I had talked to and decided it was worth a shot; I’d keep an open mind. 

Now that I’ve been in a sorority for a year and a half, I can whole-heartedly say: I do not regret it.

The truth is, being in a sorority has its pros and cons. It’s not all sunshine and rainbows. It is a financial burden (though there are payment plans). It can be superficial and it’s not essential for a good college experience. But, it really does make a difference. It has made me more confident in my networking abilities, granted me professional opportunities, and helped me academically. But most of all, it has made me grow. It has empowered and inspired me to embody the confidence, intelligence, authenticity, and inner beauty of the women I am proud to call my sorority sisters and those in other houses. It has shaped me.

The stereotypical depictions of Greek life as being fake, crazy party-animals are harmful. They neglect to address the countless hours of community and philanthropic service we do, the demanding GPA’s we must maintain (higher than the university requirement), and the high standards we are held to. They belittle the good that comes out of these organizations. 

So, despite what we may see in the media, we aren’t all dumb, catty, b*tchy sorority girls. We are strong, inspiring, ambitious, and kindWe are powerful. 

I’m a sorority woman and I’m not ashamed.

Catalina Fernandez is a senior at UC Santa Barbara, double majoring in Communication and Film/ Media Studies and minoring in Professional Multimedia Writing. Born in Buenos Aires, Argentina and raised in Orange County, California, her creative work focuses on personal identity, feminism, and minority representation. As a Campus Correspondent, she is working to expand on her voice as a content creator and leader for a career in entertainment media. See what Catalina is up to on Instagram @catalina_fernandez!
Hi, Collegiettes! I'm Carmen, a Communication major at University of California, Santa Barbara and one of two Campus Correspondents for UCSB. I would love to one day work in either fashion, food, tech, financial services or philanthropy. My dream is to find a job that somehow combines several of those elements. Until I get there, I'll be munching on copious amounts of Trader Joe's dried mango, jamming out to my man, Frank Sinatra, and focusing on creating intriguing content! If you like my writing, talk to me. ;)