Wellness

How to Get That Good Night’s Sleep You’ve Been Missing

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCSB chapter.

We have all had those nights when you are laying in bed, rolling around aimlessly, trying to get comfortable while looking back at the clock every ten minutes until soon you see the digits rolling past 1:00 a.m., 1:30 a.m., 2:00 a.m…

I mean, with our busy college lives — trying to keep up on course work, going to class, maintaining a social life, trying to fit in time to make healthy meals and exercise — sleep can definitely one of the most undermined and overlooked ingredients in our lives.

Because I’ve been feeling like I have been needing more and more coffee to get through each day, and have also started to notice that the bags under my eyes have been growing consistently, I have decided to take a stab at establishing a bed time routine to reset my body and mind.

Image Via Giphy

Here’s a few things that I have tried (and have had much success with):

1. Begin by preparing for the morning

Lay out your outfit for the following day. Stick your k-cup in the Keurig.  Pack a few snacks in your backpack or purse and pre-make your lunch. Most importantly, create a to-do list for the next day. Write down what classes you have, what course work you need to get done, and anything else you wish to accomplish during the day. I found that by doing this, my mind was much more at ease when I went to lie down in bed. I have found that I am no longer worried about remembering my tasks for the following day because I have already made a plan.

2. Drink some tea (if you aren’t a tea person, try to become one)

Tea has never been my favorite thing to sip on, however, when I started to introduce chamomile tea into my bedtime routine, I found it much easier to wind down and relax. Studies have shown that chamomile has the effect of reducing anxiety, and therefore helps induce relaxation.

3. Say no to screens before bed

This was difficult for me, but I have read many times that the light from computers, cell phones and TV’s can inhibit your bodies natural release of melatonin, therefore, making it harder to fall asleep at night. Plus, the content you are scrolling through is keeping your mind busy, forcing your mind to stay aroused and alert. Realistically, I never go to bed until at least 10:30pm or 11:00pm at best… so I have been trying to have all of my studying done and put my phone on the charger by 10:00 p.m. Start by turning off your electronics ten minutes before bed, then fifteen, and gradually increase to thirty minutes. You will find that with your to-do list done, and your mind shut off from technology and social media, you won’t have much to clutter your mind, and will find yourself dozing off before you know it.

4. Turn on some white noise

Whether you want to invest in a noise machine, or download an app on your phone, having some white noise playing while you are trying to fall (and stay) asleep will drown out your noisy upstairs neighbors running like elephants at one in the morning, or the frat across the street that prides themselves on blasting music no matter what day of the week it is.

5. Invest in an essential oils diffuser

I have found that the perfect blend of lavender and peppermint oils creates for a spa-like aroma in my room. I turn my diffuser on a half hour before bed and let the aromas fill the room. The scent is comforting and creates for a relaxing environment. I suggest investing in a diffuser that has an auto-shut off after a few hours so that it isn’t constantly running all night.

Sweet dreams, collegiettes!

Hey there, Collegiettes! I'm Hannah, a Psychology major and Professional Writing minor at the University of California, Santa Barbara. I am a passionate yogi, want-to-be backpacker, and environmental advocate. You can usually find me sipping on a dirty chai latte at a local coffee shop or hanging out outdoors.
Hi, Collegiettes! I'm Carmen, a Communication major at University of California, Santa Barbara and one of two Campus Correspondents for UCSB. I would love to one day work in either fashion, food, tech, financial services or philanthropy. My dream is to find a job that somehow combines several of those elements. Until I get there, I'll be munching on copious amounts of Trader Joe's dried mango, jamming out to my man, Frank Sinatra, and focusing on creating intriguing content! If you like my writing, talk to me. ;)