This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCSB chapter.

Admit it. We’ve all made at least a thousand excuses about being way too busy to go hit the gym. The truth is you don’t really need the gym in order to get fit. In fact, you can get fit just from the comfort of your dorm room or apartment. All you need is your phone, some comfortable work out clothes, and some inexpensive equipment if you wish to use it.

Work out apps

Believe it or not, there are many free work out apps available on the app store that actually work. These apps allow you to choose a work out plan for what ever your goals may be. You can set up an entire work out circuit to do whenever you have down time in between work and classes. It’s like having your own personal trainer right in your pocket!

YouTube

If you’re looking for something a little less rigorous and just want a decent work out routine, there are plenty of channels on YouTube dedicated solely to work outs. With a little research you’re bound to find exactly what you’re looking for.

Exercise balls and small weights

These two (inexpensive) pieces of equipment are definitely essential to a gym-less work out. Putting an exercise ball at your desk in place of a chair conquers two things at once: getting homework done and getting an awesome (and effortless) ab workout. Use this along with a set of small weights, between two and five pounds, while binge watching Netflix to make it the most enjoyable work out ever.

Jogs/power walks

Nothing beats a good old jog. These make for the perfect study break and also allow for you to explore the campus a little better. All you need for this are some comfortable running shoes and a good playlist of your favorite songs to keep you motivated. Apps such as Spotify have pre-made playlists specifically for exercising, this way you can discover new music while getting fit!

With all that in mind, one should also note that a crucial part of getting fit (both with and without going to the gym) is eating right. The app store also has many apps made to help you track what you eat and keep you on the right path to reaching any weight loss goals you might have.

So, grab your work out clothes, some good music, your phone and be ready to begin your path to reaching your goals. There is literally no better feeling than achieving your goals.

Deyana Gorman is a second year pre-biology major at the University of California Santa Barbara from Simi Valley, California. Outside of writing for Her Campus, Deyana can usually be found watching her favorite youtubers, hanging out with friends, playing video games, brushing up on her photography skills, or doing activities with her sorority sisters. She plans on one day studying abroad in Italy, Ireland, and Australia as well as going on road trip adventures throughout California.
Kirby is a recent graduate from UCSB currently living in Los Angeles. As a proud Her Campus UCSB alum, she's happy to be back on the HC team covering one of her fave shows: "The Mindy Project." On any given day you can find her with her nose in a book (let's be real - it's a Kindle). In her free time, she likes petting dogs, binge-watching TV, and eating a lot of food. Find her on Instagram: @kirbynicoleb or @GirlBossEats.