Fashion Trends Guys Hate and Why You Shouldn’t Care

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCSB chapter.

Every morning, women wake up to an inner-battle–what to say, what to do, and especially what to wear to attract a savage primate…aka a man. After reading countless articles telling girls what guys find most attractive, it’s easy to fall victim to male-ordered fashion rules to feel desirable. If we all lived by what guys consider “hot”, we would be forced to say goodbye to some of our favorite fashion trends like flowy Free People dresses and red lipstick!

Doesn’t it seem silly to exchange fashion-forward trends for a mere glance from a random guy? What do guys know about ombré hair and high-low skirts anyways? When it comes to the fashion trends men hate, maybe the old saying is right–perhaps, men really are from Mars.

Gladiator sandals, high-waisted shorts, and combat boots are just a few fashion trends by which men are confused; while, nail art, pixie cuts, and spikes are trends that guys hate. Men seem to dislike the trends that girls deem as fashionable; and, instead, appear to be partial to the minimalistic look. Men love it when women sport minimal makeup, jeans, and a white tee. But where does that leave us–how are we supposed to express ourselves and our favorite styles? We can’t. We shouldn’t care if men like the trends we wear. If you love the fashion trend and it makes you feel good, you should not only wear it, but flaunt it! The bottom line is: we should wear whatever makes us feel the most confident. If that means wearing a guy-disapproved outfit, then so be it! If we dressed according to the testosterone-filled male opinion, we would all be walking around naked…not to mention, unfashionable. 

Still don’t believe that women can be insanely attractive while wearing fashion trends men hate? Take a look at Miley Cyrus with her bleached blonde pixie cut and harem pants. Now take a look at the man on her arm–Cyrus is engaged to arguably one of the hottest guys in Hollywood, Liam Hemsworth. Maybe the Hannah Montana veteran has it right–follow your style, disregard men’s fashion opinions, and, as Kevin G. once said, “Don’t let the haters stop you from doin your thang!” Then, maybe we too can end up with a famous 6 feet tall Aussie boyfriend! 

Maya is currently a third year Communications major at UCSB and a San Francisco native. As an previous editorial intern for HC and current Campus Correspondent, Maya loves to write about her NOMtastic food endeavors and the laid back fashion and style of California. With an interest in magazine editorial writing and public relations, Maya plans to pursue these fields as she continues to add a little more spice to every Collegiate’s life!
 University of California, Santa Barbara chapter of Her Campus