A Broke Girl’s Guide to Decor

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCSB chapter.

We get it: college is expensive! Between tuition and rent, students barely have enough money to spend elsewhere. However, being broke doesn’t mean you have to sacrifice cute home decor. Here are a few ways to decorate your place on the cheap without compromising style:

1. Trim your shelves with sticky notes cut into scallops.

It’s easy, quick, and adorable.

2. Wrap your pots in your favorite print.

Pick out a print you like and add life (aside from the plants) to your vases!

3. Jazz up your doormat instantly by painting on some neon stripes.

It looks like you bought an expensive doormat, but really, you got an inexpensive one and swiped on some paint.

4. Blow up your favorite prints and frame them.

It’s not too expensive to blow up a picture from online and frame it, but it sure looks like it!

5. Spray paint empty wine and beer bottles to use as vases.

We know you have some lying around, so might as well put them to good use.

6. Make a nightstand by stacking your old magazines.

This is the perfect way to make use of all of those old magazines lying around.

7. Style your own coffee table tray.

A tray isn’t too pricey, and a stylized tray makes your living room look super classy.

8. Buy mini-succulents.

If all else fails, buy cacti. They’re low-maintenence, and you won’t have to keep buying them like with flowers!

Hi, Collegiettes! I'm Carmen, a Communication major at University of California, Santa Barbara and one of two Campus Correspondents for UCSB. I would love to one day work in either fashion, food, tech, financial services or philanthropy. My dream is to find a job that somehow combines several of those elements. Until I get there, I'll be munching on copious amounts of Trader Joe's dried mango, jamming out to my man, Frank Sinatra, and focusing on creating intriguing content! If you like my writing, talk to me. ;) 
Kirby is a recent graduate from UCSB currently living in Los Angeles. As a proud Her Campus UCSB alum, she's happy to be back on the HC team covering one of her fave shows: "The Mindy Project." On any given day you can find her with her nose in a book (let's be real - it's a Kindle). In her free time, she likes petting dogs, binge-watching TV, and eating a lot of food. Find her on Instagram: @kirbynicoleb or @GirlBossEats.