With Thanksgiving right around the corner, it’s time to reunite with our friends and families, eat until we feel sick, and give thanks. As I was thinking about what exactly it is that I am thankful for this year, I came to a profound yet obvious realization—I feel that as Gauchos, we have much more cause to give thanks than other collegiettes™ (this is an entirely unbiased epiphany, of course). Being at a college located in beautiful Santa Barbara with outstanding academics and amazing social life, there really isn’t much to complain about so I have provided an immensely condensed list of reasons why I am so thankful to be a Gaucho this year:
1. Our ridiculously attractive student body—try walking through campus without seeing someone absolutely gorgeous.
2. Subsequently, try walking a mere few feet in Isla Vista without finding a party packed with fun-loving students with cold beverages.
3. The option of devouring a tray of nachos at Freebirds at 3 o’clock in the morning.
4. The ability to get to the beach within 5 minutes of wherever you live.
5. The opportunity to take unique, interesting classes taught by intelligent and experienced professors.
6. Being located between the beach and the mountains—you can’t lose.
7. Retail therapy on State Street.
8. Getting Backyard Bowls after a beautiful and rewarding hike at Seven Falls or Inspiration Point.
9. The near-perfect weather and scenery we experience every day.
10. Being at the best f***ing university in the nation—who else has this much fun?
So, as you go home for the holidays, do not forget about what you are leaving behind and how lucky we all are to have this paradise to return to! Happy Thanksgiving, Gauchos!