Get the Look at Plato’s Closet

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCF chapter.

I have recently discovered the greatest place to shop since Forever 21: Plato’s Closet.

A lot of you girls have probably heard about Plato’s, but for those of you who haven’t, Plato’s Closet is a store that buys and sells gently used, in-style, brand name clothing.

I’ve never been one for hitting up thrift stores, but when I kept seeing TV commercials for Plato’s Closet, I decided I would finally check it out. And as it happens, I don’t even think I would consider Plato’s a “thrift store” – maybe something in between. A lot of the clothes are in very good condition, and some even still have the tags on them!

Plato’s Closet sells practically everything: clothes, shoes, jewelry, purses, books, DVDs, and even guy’s clothing! I have seen brands such as Forever 21, Betsey Johnson, Xhilaration, Express, Steve Madden, Charlotte Russe, Hollister, Ed Hardy, Juicy Couture, Coach, and even some Gucci, Dior, and Versace! I have also seen steals like Lauren Conrad’s style book for only $7, and Whitney Port’s book for only $5! I could hardly believe it.

Some of my own cool finds were a leopard print cardigan vest from Forever 21 for only $5 and some fiercely cute, leopard print (again) Steve Madden flats for only $12!

This store is perfect for the stylish college girl who loves to shop but is on a budget. And it gets even better! Plato’s Closet will also buy your trendy and popular items for on-the-spot cash!

All you have to do is bring in your unwanted clothes, shoes, belts, purses, jewelry, books, and DVDs. Then they will have you fill out a form, and an associate will look over your items while you shop. Depending on how busy they are, it should take about 20 minutes. When they are finished, they will present you the items that they would like to buy, along with the total amount of money they will be able to offer you. You can accept and collect your money, or you can politely decline and leave with your clothes.

I have seen a lot of people on forums complaining that Plato’s Closet hardly gives you any money for your items, but the way I see it, all I would do with the clothes is give them to Good Will, so I would rather take a buck or two per shirt instead of nothing! From my experience, they usually give $1 – $5 per item, depending on the brand, current demand, and quality. None of my clothes have been very expensive brands however, so I don’t know how much they would give for say, a Gucci Belt or a Juicy Purse.

In the past few months I have received approximately $135 cash for my items! Since I am from South Florida, I go to three different Plato’s – two at home and one here in Orlando. I take my stuff to one location, and whatever they don’t buy I take to another, etc. It works because each location is different: what they buy is all about what the customers want, and demographics are different everywhere you go!

So what are you waiting for, girls? Go clean out your closets, make some cash, and spend it on a new wardrobe!