Facebook Stalking: A New Age Romance

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCF chapter.

Once upon a time there was a beautiful young lady who struggled with her body image and self-confidence. She and her friends went out to bars every weekend.  They claimed it was fun but the real reasons they went out were:

1. They loved to get all dolled up.  All the makeup hid their insecurities and boosted their confidence.

2. They liked the idea of alcohol as an excuse to be bold.  They thought it was low risk making decisions they really wanted to make but felt they couldn’t when sober.

So, there they were, the beautiful young lady and her friends, at the local pub, pretending to be effortlessly charming, when a group of young lads approached them.  These boys were clean cut with their Vineyard Vines t-shirts and Sperry’s; perfect combination to catch the attention of the young ladies.

Both groups felt safe masked behind their drinks. The lads and lassies hit it off.

The beautiful young lady was flirting with a strapping lad.  He would make a bad joke and she would laugh at his charisma.

When a lull in the conversation arose, the beautiful young lady excused herself to the leuw and as she went, whisked her friends along with. They locked arms and giggled away. 

The phones came out the second they turned the corner and their lovely little smiles disappeared from their faces as their attention was sucked into their electronics.

Researching, prodding and poking, they went through Facebook, Instagram, and Twitter, looking at their suitors through a tailored lens. What were they looking for?  What were they hoping to find?

They were looking for information they were too scared to find out in person.  They scanned the internet for ugly surprises they hoped to evade.  

No one really gets to know anyone anymore.

One by one the ladies come back to the real world.  They take a quick glance in the mirror and rejoin their suitors, confident in their intel gathering. Now that the beautiful young lady knows her strapping young lad is single and into the Red Hot Chili Peppers, obviously, they will live happily ever after.

Photo credit: 1, 2,

Jess is in her third year at UCF. She is an Advertising and Public Relations major who absolutely loves to write. Jess also tutors on campus at the Writing Center. When she is not writing, working or studying, you can find Jess at the pool, since she loves to swim and play water polo. Jess is super energetic and friendly, so if you see her on campus be sure to say hi! Go Knights!
UCF Contributor