7 Healthy Foods That Will Make Your Skin Glow In a Bikini

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCF chapter.

The countdown has finally begun, it is now acceptable to be freaking out that Spring Break ’13 is just a few weeks away–and you’ll be in a bikini.

This is more of an “Oh my gosh, I’m going to have to be in a bikini in front of hot boys and a bunch of judgmental girls” freak out, as opposed to an “Oh my gosh I can’t wait to be on Spring Break, living it up with my best friends” freak out…that’ll happen as soon as the whole looking good in a bikini thing is solved. 

For some of us, there’s just not enough time in the day to fit working out into the schedule. That doesn’t mean you should lose all hope, because let’s get real…our abs are made in the kitchen.  So, we need to resort to our food choices in order to get the bod that will bring all the boys to the yard. Luckily there are seven foods that can be kept around the house, keeping you fully satisfied AND give you the added benefit of improving your complexion, making your skin glow.

Sweet potatoes

Sweet potatoes are high in antioxidants, which helps rid the body’s supply of highly reactive oxygen molecules that damage cells, leading to dry skin and wrinkles.

Citrus (oranges, lemons, limes, grapefruit)

These fruits are high in vitamin C and helps keep collagen—which keeps your skin tight and firm. Citrus is also a great protector against immune deficiencies such as the cold.

Green Tea

Green Tea contains EGCG (epigallocatechin-3-gallate) which is an anti-inflammatory chemical that helps rid the skin of acne and sunspots.  

Dark Green Veggies (spinach, broccoli)

Dark green veggies contain a huge source of the most skin-essential vitamin: vitamin A. Vitamin A contributes to cell growth and keeps skin hydrated.

Salmon

Salmon is a cold water fish, high in the Essential Fatty Acid, Omega-3, which helps protect against sunburns and improves hair condition. It also is a great source of protein, which makes enzymes and hormones that plump up your skin, making it glow.

Eggs

Eggs contain sulfur which repairs skin tissue and elasticity, keeping skin smooth.

Avocado

Avocado is high in vitamin E which helps to release energy from food for “skin metabolism,” keeping skin hydrated and smooth. 

Even though Spring Break is a few weeks away, that doesn’t mean you should keep these foods in your diet ONLY for a few weeks. It’s important to make sure you always keep foods high in antioxidants and vitamins around. To help contribute to what could be a new healthy lifestlyle, try new things like going to the gym or waking up early. Check out 6 Tips for Waking Up Earlier and start getting in your Spring Break state of mind.