This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCF chapter.

Birthdays are the perfect time in your life to reflect on the previous year and wish for a brighter future. As my 19th birthday approaches, I can’t help but think about how wise I have grown over the years. This time in my life is very tender and I learn something new about life every day. That is why I would like to share 19 of those lessons and tips with you.

Friends/Family

1. Friends Come and Go:

I have had to learn that certain people come into your life for a season. If a friend is not bringing positivity in your life, let them go. You can always make new friends.

2. Value Your Family:

Don’t take for granted the time you have at home with your relatives. One day you’ll be in college and you’ll actually miss the “nuisance” of your siblings or parents.

3. Be the Bigger Person:

In friendships or dealing with people in general, sometimes you have to bite your tongue. My mother always told me that “silence is the best answer for a fool.” Don’t “pop off” on irritating people. Just stay calm and move on.

4. Your Family is Not Always Blood:

Just because you’re not related does not mean she is not like a “sister” to you. Strong friendships can be as close as relatives.

5. True Friends Are Honest:

If someone loves you, they will tell you the truth. Tough love is often the best love because that means they are looking at your best interest to better your life.

6. Friends Can Reflect Who You Are

The saying “show me your friends and I’ll tell you who you are” runs deep. “Birds of a feather flock together.” If you hang out with negative people, whether you like it or not, their influence will rub off on you.

Love/Relationships

7. A Guy That Wants You Will Work Hard for You:

Don’t stress over a guy that isn’t putting in work for you. If he truly wants to be with you, he should climb mountains and valleys to be with you. That’s why there’s the song “Ain’t No Mountain High Enough.”

8. Don’t Settle for Less:

Every woman is a queen in their own right.  You deserve a king that is going to treat you like the royalty that you are. Don’t lower your standards out of self-doubt or pity.

9. Trust Takes Time:

Building a healthy relationship is based off trust. However, you should be vigilant and let that person prove themselves. Time is the only way for that.

10. Being Single Can Be Really Good for You:

Taking the time in your life to “just do you” can be so beneficial. Use your singleness to build your own empire. A king will come in his own time.

11. Men Can Sometimes Be Oblivious:

If you find yourself hurt over a comment that a guy said, don’t stress it. Sometimes men are oblivious to how their words or actions affect women. It’s a sad fact, but it’s true.

12. Being in A Relationship Doesn’t Mean You Will Be Happy:

A guy cannot fill your emotional voids if you don’t work on them yourself. You might be temporarily happy when you’re with the person, but they cannot solve all of your problems.

13. The Right Guy Will Come At The Right Time:

As a pisces, I am a hopeless romantic. I genuinely believe in soul mates. Let life take its course, the guy will come when fate allows him to.

Academics

14. Procrastination is the Devil

DO NOT WAIT TILL THE LAST MINUTE TO DO THINGS! It can truly impact your productivity and success in school. Those due dates can creep up on you very fast.

15. Organization Will Do Wonders:

Take the time to make a plan on how you will get your work done, and execute it. Or keep track of what you have to do and stay on top of it.

Self-Esteem

16. Everybody Has a Good Body:

With body trends changing like seasons, it can be hard to know when you “fit in.” That’s why it doesn’t matter. Whatever state that your body is in, embrace it wholeheartedly. As long as you are healthy, you are in good shape.

17. Fashion is Fleeting:

While trends can be fun to follow, you don’t have to stick to the fashion rules to look good. Find the style that works for you, and flaunt it like a model.

18. Beauty is Only Skin Deep:

While it’s nice to look good outwardly, if you are not a kind person, you can end up looking “ugly” to people. Don’t make your looks the only part of your beauty regimen.

19. Some Days Are Better Than Others:

Some days you will wake up and feel as fabulous as Beyoncé.  Other days, you will feel like a potato. Even on your potato-days know that you are still wonderfully made. You should just learn that you are human and accept perfection is not an option.

I hope these lessons were able to be beneficial to you; it’s always important to reflect on the lessons you’ve learned over the years.

Abisola, also known as simply "Abby" is an electronic journalism major. She is a Nigerian-American blogger, songwriter, soon-to-be author, and self-proclaimed feminist. She is a reporter for a website called "PrettyGirlsSweat" and also writes for UCF's news source "KnightNews.com" In her free time she enjoys catching up on her favorite shows which include Gilmore Girls, Blackish, Modern Family, and the Mindy Project. She also enjoys watching makeup tutorials and vlogs on YouTube. In the future, she aspires to be a news anchor/reporter for an Entertainment News Station such as E! Follow Abisola on social media to keep up with her shenanigans. Twitter: https://twitter.com/abisola2798 Instagram:https://www.instagram.com/abbyadeyemo27/
UCF Contributor