I’m Vegetarian– So What?

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCD chapter.

Last week, my best friend Stephanie (an omnivore) asked me (a vegetarian):

“Do you ever feel conflicted when people who eat meat are concerned about animal rights? Are they supporting animal abuse by eating meat?”

The short answer was: Yes, I do feel conflicted.

The long answer is this: Yes, and there’s a lot more to that.

Ever since the night of The Big Question, I’ve been thinking a lot about why I’m vegetarian, why others are not, and what the implications of our dietary choices are.

Stephanie is a dog owner and loves her dog immensely. However, she also eats meat regularly, and doubts that she would be able to give it up. She was concerned that she might be a hypocrite. I guess the truth is that she is, but then again, so am I.

I’m nineteen years old, and I’ve been a vegetarian for nineteen years. It probably doesn’t take long for you to figure out that I was essentially born vegetarian. I belong to a Hindu family, and one of the virtues of the religion is the concept of “ahimsa”, or nonviolence and compassion towards all living beings. Vegetarianism falls under this virtue.

Unfortunately, being vegetarian doesn’t mean I’m virtuous, or guilt-free. I do eat eggs, dairy, and honey, and that can often mean animals are living uncomfortable or unhappy lives, even if they’re not being used for meat. I try to strive for kindness and animal welfare by buying the most ethically-produced foods that I can — but I’m not perfect. I, like Stephanie, cause pain in the lives of other animals by living my own, even if I do believe that I care about them.

Because I have moved away from my family, I’ve been asked why I continue to live a vegetarian lifestyle. With my new independence, I could do a number of things: walk away from my religion, choose veganism, or even choose to eat meat. The thing is, vegetarianism is all I’ve ever known. I’m curious about meat, but not enough to try it. I admire vegans and their dedication, but I don’t think I’m prepared to follow suit. I don’t feel entirely ready to make any big changes in my life. If and when I do, I’ll need a lot of education, support, and commitment to my dietary choices.

I’ve realized that if you’re concerned about your eating habits affecting the wellbeing of animals, that’s commendable in its own way. It’s all about being conscious, and understanding that you want to inflict as little harm upon others as you can at that moment. Self-awareness is rad.

So is self-care. Commit to the choices that make sense for you. Animal welfare is incredibly important, and the first place to start is with the living, breathing being you know best: you! No matter your diet, eat the foods that nourish you, learn how to cook meals that creatively challenge and excite you, and explore new cuisines at your own pace. If you’re happy and thriving, you’re one step closer to being able to give that gift to others.

This is the UCD Contributor page from University of California, Davis!