Yay or Nay : 90’s Chick!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UC Riverside chapter.

The revival of 90’s trends reinforces that fashion trends do repeat themselves! However,the trends of the 90s has been polished for these modern days. Bits and pieces of the nineties era have been flooding into the fashion world, but Fall 2013 will definitely have a big dose of a blast from the past!

First off, can we all agree the television shows from the nineties were the best thing to ever happen?! Shows such as Clueless, Sabrina the Teenage Witch, Saved by the Bell and Fresh Prince of Bel Air were and continue to be a big influence in fashion.

But lets not forget about music: Nirvana, Pearl Jam, and L7, to name a few bands which lead the grunge scene. While they did not have the intention to start any fad, they have left inspirations for generations to come.  

Here are a few polished trends inspired by the nineties:

1. Overalls
Then:

Now:

City Chic 

Lovely Floral 

Circular Crochet 
(also comes in black)

Sweet Floral Overalls Dress

Candy Stripe 

[pagebreak]
2. Footwear

Jelly Sandals
(also comes in black & mint)

Do you recall these jelly sandals? You might have own some when your age was a single digit!

Platform Sneakers
(also comes in a vary of colors)

Reptile Flatform Sandals

Laser-Cut Flatform Sandals
(also comes in nude)

The Spice Girls might have rocked platforms in the nineties, but these footwear have been transformed to be more suitable for modern time. You can definitely see a few fashionistas wearing Maxstar sneakers for a sporty look. While others may wear platform sandals for some height and as a statement shoe.  

Green Dr. Martens

These boots are edgy and tough – perfect for concerts because you know your feet will be protected! Doc Martens are also a great pair of boots for the “grunge” look.

[pagebreak]
3. Crop Tops
Then:

Now:

Floral Cut-Out 

Turtleneck Sleeveless 

Tie-Dyed Ying Yang

Faded Scoop Neck

Long Sleeve Cut-Out

Long Sleeve Marble Lace

[pagebreak]
4.Flannels
The “grunge” look became commercialized which lead many teens and fans of grunge bands to start dressing “grunge”.

Then:

Now:
Elements of the grunge era is reappearing. The most popular trend is to simply add a flannel around your waist. It gives your outfit a relax and care free look to it.

Mixed Pattern Flannel

Navy Mixed Plaid Flannel

You could also wear plaid skirts or dresses to get the relax, grunge look. 

Plaid Maxi Skirt

Plaid Dress
This dress could be paired with a sweater or demin jacket for colder months!

[pagebreak]
5. Mini Backpack 

Cher Horowitz – Clueless

Leather Mini Backpack

Flower Power
(also comes in a vary of patterns & colors)

Aztec Printed 

Patent Mini Backpack

Two questions remain: are you a 90s chick?! & is the revival of the 90s fashion trend a Yay or Nay for you?

Elizabeth Duong

UC Riverside

Hello! I am Elizabeth, a senior Neuroscience major at UC Riverside. A few things I fancy: photography, fashion, and thrift stores. Find me on other social medias: http://postcardsfromliz.blogspot.com/ and on YouTube: user - postcardsfromliz. 
UC Riverside

UC Riverside